Can't resize system partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by dwisby, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwisby

dwisby Registered Member

I have a W2k3 server and Partition Manager Server 8.0 Enterprise edition and am trying to enlarge the system partition.
    Here is the setup:
    Name Vol Label Type File Sys Size Used
    Basic Hard Disk 0 12Gb
    Logical disk(*) Dell Utility Fat16 30Mb 4Mb
    Logical Disk(C) (No Label) Primary NTFS 11Gb 8.2Gb
    Logical Disk(*) (No Label) Primary NTFS 4Mb 1.1Mb
    (Unallocated) (No Label) Free Space 1Mb 2047Gb
    Basic Hard Disk 1 267Gb
    Logical Disk (*) (No Label) Primary NTFS 15Mb 12Mb
    Extended Part. (No Label) Extended 267Gb
    Logical Disk(D) Data Logical NTFS 267GB 139Gb
    Logical Disk(*) (No Label) Primary NTFS 15Mb 4Mb

I need to use free space from logical disk D to expand logical disk C, but nothing seems to work.
    Can someone assist me. I believe is has to do with adjancency but do not know how to correct.
    Thanks
    David

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

It looks like your C and D drives are on different physical disks, is that correct? If it is, you will not be able to add free space from a partition on one physical disk to a partition on another physical disk directly.

If this is not the case then you need to move the other partition so that the free space is adjacent to the C partition.

Start by moving the partitions in the extended partition to the right, moving the free space to the left of the partitions.

Then re-size the extended partition form the left so that the unallocated space is outside of it, next to the C partition. Essentially realigning the extended partition with the logical partition that you would have moved in the first step.

3. dwisby

dwisby Registered Member

There are two physical disks in a RAID 1 array. When you say move the partitions in the extended partition and resize the extended partition, how is this done. I tried to right click Extended Partition but the only options are
    Delete Partition
    Change Partition ID
    Test Surface
    Edit/View Sectors
    Properties
    So I am kind of stumped.
    Thanks for you quick response,
    David

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello dwisby,

Take a look at this document to see if you fit the situation. Regarding your Raid 1 (mirrored), Windows and Paragon does not see the two physical disk, but rather as 1 array (disk). In Disk Management, make sure that the partition you're taking space from and adding to the C drive, are on the same disk (ie Disk 0) and adjacent to each other.

http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/support/PM10/PM10 - Resize Tutorial.pdf

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi dwisby,

There are screenshots explaining how to shrink the logical drive first , then shrink the Extended partition which contains it: POST 13 HERE

To shrink the logical drive - make sure the logical drive is highlighted before you rt click it - not the Extended partition that contains it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.