Can't reply to anything

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by zacktech, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacktech

zacktech Registered Member

For some reason, if I try to reply to any other thread, it says I've been blocked. But at the bottom of the thread, it says I "CAN" post replies, but it won't let me. All I can do is create new threads, and reply to my own threads. What's up?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

What forum section are you trying to reply in? Is it happening in all of them? Try going to the "Test Forum" and replying to any of the testing threads there and see what happens. Give us the specific error message exactly as it appears.

3. zacktech

hmmm, I tested about 4 other forums and I could reply there. Only in the addware, spyware and hijack cleaning forum it doesn't let me reply.
    If I click "Reply" a new page pops up, here is the screen shot:

Attached Files:

4. zacktech

BTW, on the bottom of the page, is says I "CAN" do these things.

Attached Files:

• CAN.JPG
      CAN.JPG
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

...and that's exactly the way we have organized that particular forum. As a registered member you are able to open your own new thread and respond to it. You will not be able to respond to threads started by other members though. The reason for this is a simple one: we want to avoid anyone to respond other then our classified helpers over there. One wrong reply could end up in a disaster for the system from the one who started the thread.

Hope this explains it all ;)

regards.

paul

6. LowWaterMark

Right. And you may "post replies" - replies to your own threads, but not replies to other people's threads in that section. As Paul said, it is a protection specific to that forum section.

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  7. zacktech

You say "we want to avoid anyone to respond other then our classified helpers over there. One wrong reply could end up in a disaster for the system from the one who started the thread."

That makes sense. But doesn't it also apply to other forums? Like I can go post a "bad" reply somewhere else and screw them up.

Might I ask what it takes to be someone who can post there? Because I do this for a living and am quite qualified. I clean many systems up every day, and study this stuff every chance I get.

8. pcdebb

pcdebb Registered Member

what makes a person a classified helper? I've been helping over there and now I can't. Really the only reason I was here was to help. I guess I apologize for being helpful :doubt:

9. LowWaterMark

True, but the majority of threads in other forum sections contain mostly generalized advice: What firewall should I use? What does this log mean? Where can I do an online scan? SpywareBlaster won't run, please help. And so on. While there are the occasional direct fix responses in those other sections, in the HijackThis log review section 99%+ of the replies are direct and specific fix recommendations. The ratio of fix recommendations alone leaves great opportunity for problems given bad advice.

Upon performing our own review and verification, we mostly support and recognize the training programs and the skill rankings provided by these sites:

Boot camp at SWI

The TomCoyote Classroom

As to restricting who can help in that section, we are not alone in this. SpywareInfo, ComputerCOPS and Net-Integration have policies and specific rankings assigned to helpers at their sites, as well.

10. pcdebb

pcdebb Registered Member

i'm registered in both of those programs :doubt:

actually had to re-register at SWI cause they had to move their servers for DDOS reasons :(

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  11. LowWaterMark

That's great! :) Just one thing to keep in mind, we don't use the trainee ranks here, so the people rated as Spyware Fighters have generally reached a higher ranking level above that in either of those programs, or at the other sites mentioned above (and/or a few others sites).

In any case, I assume you've also seen Pieter's policy thread here, which explains that people can contact him regarding this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=32172

12. pcdebb

pcdebb Registered Member

yea i saw that, but didnt know if i met the qualifications, should i contact?

13. LowWaterMark

Well, all I can advise is that you know where you are at this moment within those programs, and how you are doing through your participation at the various forums that do this work, so you need to think about whether you've reached a level where you can address logs often unassisted. (Everyone, even the experts can need help with a specific log from time to time, but Spyware Fighters here can generally handle a lot of the logs without help.) In any case, you can always contact Pieter and ask his thoughts.

14. zacktech

Thanks for the info. I'll check it all out and get back to you some day I hope :)

I'm still working hard to get rid of the virus I have now, very tricky one! I'm getting ready to post some new ideas and logs. Very advanced stuff here.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=32561

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.