Can't open mapped networked drives.

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cdysthe, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdysthe

cdysthe Registered Member

Hi,

When LnS is running from boot I am not able to connect to mapped networked drives unless I first disable and re-enable Internet filtering. Then I'm again able to access them until the connections time out. Again I have to disable and re-enable Internet filtering to be able to access the networked drives. I am using MAC rules for these two drives. I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and LnS 2.05 B2. I had the same problem in 2.04 also. It is strange that it works when I toggle Internet filtering off and on, and I am not able to find a solution. Am I missing something obvious? o_O

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Does the log show specific alert when it doesn't work ?

Frederic

3. cdysthe

No, nothing in the log. I have been "playing" around a little though. Not knowing a lot about these things makes it difficult, so bear with me... :) What I have found out is that if I allow NetBIOS by uncehcking the little red thingy in the rule (I am using enhanced rules) things work and I can open the networked drives. I am not sure if this is the right solution though? All I need is to be able to connect to a couple of networked drives at home, and one at work from my laptop. Is opening for NetBIOS a risk? I am connecting to a wireless hub which is connected to a Linxsys BEFSR41 which again is connected to my DSL modem. Same setup both at work and at home. I have also made a MAC rule for one of the drives, but I am still able to connect to the other drives on other machines and transfer files for some reason.

4. RDT

RDT Registered Member

I'm having a similar problem. I am unable to see my other machine on my network. I am running a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Without LNS I am able to see and access both my machines on the network. With LNS enabled Windows Explorer will only display the machine I'm typing from. If I uncheck both application filtering and internet filtering I still can not see the other machine.

I am running LNS 205 beta 2 with Phantom's latest rules list on both machines. I have added the authorize the other PC rule to this rule set. I can access the internet from both machines and even do remote processing from my laptop to my desktop without a problem. I do see lots of authorize the other PC entries in the log when I do remote processing. I did not have a router when I was running version 2.04 so I don't know if this is a carryover problem.

There is no log activity when I try to access the other machine using Windows Explorer from either machine.

Rick Thompson

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, if you are using the standard ruleset, it was normal you had to add/change some rules in order to do file sharing with netbios.
    For more security you should create a new rule like the one you allowed and specify IP address of the computers. Then you block again the packets for the initial rule.

Normally the rule with the MAC address should have worked. Are you sure you entered the MAC address of the other computer ?

Frederic

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

If disabling Application & Internet filtering has no effect, it is probably another issue.
    If you are using Norton Antivirus, you need to apply the following patch:
    http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Tools/NavRegPatch2.exe
    (a reboot is needed to have the patch effective).

Frederic

7. cdysthe

I did enter the MAC addres, yes. The rule did "work" since I could access the other computer. But I could also access networked drives on a computer that I didn't have a MAC address rule for. I though the idea was only to allow the machine(s) with a MAC address rule applied to it?

I have now made the rules Patrice describes in his posting "Configuring Look'n'Stop with Routers". After that I closed the general NetBIOS rule and things still work fine. However, I do not understand how to only allow certain machines through with a MAC address rule.

8. RDT

RDT Registered Member

If disabling Application & Internet filtering has no effect, it is probably another issue.
    If you are using Norton Antivirus, you need to apply the following patch:
    http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Tools/NavRegPatch2.exe
    (a reboot is needed to have the patch effective).

Frederic

I am running Norton Antivirus on my laptop only. I am running Trend Micro Internet Security on my desktop. I had previously applied that Norton patch but did it again just to see. It told me it was already there.

I rebooted, now I can see and access my desktop from my laptop. But I still can not see my laptop from my desktop even after rebooting it. I guess the best bet is to go check out the Trend Micro site and see if there is a similar patch for it.

Thanks,

Rick Thompson

9. Bobby

Bobby Guest

I had the same problem but with 2.04p2 version, sometimes it was not possible to open a mapped network drive.

I have disable stateful packet inspection and now no more problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.