"Can't open/create file" in *any* external drive?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Ellen, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen Registered Member

Thanks very much for attaching the script. I added your syntax to one of my scripts & I'll let you know how it goes after my next backup runs.

In my script for the OS partition & first HD track, the first track & the rest of the partition are backed up into different files & then merged, unlike yours. Would you suggest adding the Integrity command after the merge command too or isn't that necessary?

I noticed that you had "call check_error" statements before & after the Integrity checks. Why is it necessary before as well as after?

Also, where did you find the syntax which you add to the scripts, or did you make the change through one of the program's "wizards"?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Ellen,
    Actually, they were included in my Script automatically when the paragon gui - generated my Script. In my version of paragon backup and recovery 10 pgm, on the screen that involves generation, it has as one of the checkbox choices to "include error checking" and when checked-ON it automatically generated the "call check_error" statements "After" the "Store" and "Apply All" command statements.
    .... It appears that the "call check_error", after the "Store" command, is checking for "syntax errors" with the backup commands/statements specifed above it.
    .... It appears that the "call check_error", after the "Apply All" command is checking the error code of the Backup operation for a "success" / "fail" of the Backup process.
    .... I just added theie same "call check_error" (i.e. it checks for a Non-Zero Error Code), after performing the "Integrity Command".

But, you know I found out that the "call check_error" *only* is effective, if you are running the Script in "Character Mode" (aka " DOS Console Mode") and will be either viewing the success/fail of the script execution by executing the script manuall directly in an open Dos Command prompt Window and *no* popup progress gui window
    [--- OR ---
    If you will be running the script in a Windows Task Scheduler and want Non-Zero Exit Codes displayed on the Windows Task Scheduler task status line and *no* popup progress gui window.

.... NOTE: There is a way to set the paragon Script to execute in 'Character Mode", the default, as generated, is to run it in GUI Mode.
    ... The differences in "GUI Mode - you get the GUI Backup In_Progress Window and yoiu know what is going on. .... Currently, this is the Mode I run my Script in.
    ... In Character Mode, *no* GUI Backup Progess Window will appear. This is good for an "unattended pc" or you do not want to see the GUI for yourself or family members. I]However, if you choose this mode, be aware that *not* all Windows Task Schedulers let you view the console window output of an executed job to see the "Worded Error Messages" that are written to the DOS command Console Window (aka Win XP Task Scheduler, I don't have Win7, but it may allow you to view console output of a Win 7 Task Scheduler Job.
    ... I am running Win XP still. .... I have a 3rd party task scheduler that lets yoi view the jobs/tasks console output.[/I]

Seekforever, can you answet the below question ?
    ... If your running Win 7, perhap seekforever could answer the question of whether you can see a SScheduled Task's - Dos command console output under Win 7 - Task Scheduler.

...Anyway, you have to decide whether you want script to run in current GUI mode or "Character" (Dos command console mode).
    ... To run the Scripy in "Character (non-gui) Mode", go into Task Scheduler and into your scheduler paragon backup task and edit its command line syntac to remove the Switch "--Graphical".

3. JosephB

Ellen.

I found out about the Integrity Command, a few years ago, from one of the threads on this forum, that a Paragon Staff member had posted to someone.

There is a Paragon Script Manual for download on the Paragon site, but its *not* been updated with some of the syntax in later version of paragon's backup pgms *and* I found the manual difficult to understand.

4. JosephB

Ellen,

Although, I have *not* tested this type of Merge Backup Archive, I am pretty sure that the *only* place where it will work in a Merge type of Backup Archive, is also after the "apply all - call check_error" Group of commands, as below.

// Apply all scheduled operations
    apply all

// Check for errors
    call check_error

Integrity
    call check_error

5. JosephB

Ellen,

Did the "Verify of Archive" in the Script, work for you ?

6. Ellen

Ellen Registered Member

Joseph,

Thanks for explaining the different meanings of the "check_error" command.

Do you think the command doesn't run in GUI mode or that there's no indication that it's running? If it's not really running, that seems to me to be a major program flaw.

I'm also running XP. What's the name of the 3rd party scheduler you use which lets you view the tasks console output?

I was going to try it out but I didn't see the term "graphical" in my scripts. Where in your scripts is it?

Thanks very much for your suggestion about the commands to use & their sequence. In this case, as with the other "Integrity" commands I tried, the verification definitely started since I saw the text "check archive activity". But at some point, the screen switched back to the scheduled task list without letting me know whether or not the verification had succeeded. Do your verifications do the same thing?

I tried to add "Else" followed by "print "verification has succeeded"", before the "endif". But I got an error message so then I tried to move the statement to after the "endif" but that caused other error messages. Have you found a way to confirm that the verifications have succeeded or do you assume that the lack of an error message means the verifications were successful?

Thanks very much again for your answers & examples. I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to get back here with an update.

7. JosephB

Ellen,

Its *Not* a problem at all, because the command (only runs) is only meant for when running in "character (console) mode. When running in GUI Mode, should an "Error Occur" the GUI will automaticaly display a GUI Error Message.

Actually, what I am using is more than just a 3rd party scheduler. The Scheduler is just one feature of it. The software I am using lets me automate any "manual" task or steps that I do over and over again in windows that I am tied of doing manually. In case, yout interested its called "WinAutomation" at winautomation dot com.

... P.S. Made a typo previous. The switch is actually called " --graph".
    All Scripts "Scheduled" in Paragon are actually addeded to the Windows Task Scheduler and its the Windows Task Scheduler that is running the Paragon - Scheduled Script. So, you have to go into Windows XP - Task Scheduler (i.e. Control panel, Scheduled Tasks, look for an entry called "Paragon ......". Then, Right Click, Choose Properties. Clink into "Run" -Text box and scroll left looking for the switch " --Graph" and remove it to execute your scheduled script in Character Mode.
    P.S. I do *not* know of any way to do this for Scripts that you "manually" run within the Paargon GUI - Schedule tab, I don't think its possibile at all. But, if you open a DOS Console window and type in the Command-line that was in the Windows Task Scheduler - Properties, Run Text Box, then you can them to run in Character Mode in an Opened DOS Command Prompt and if course you change the command line entry with the name of whatever script you have.
    Easiest thing is to copy/paste whats in the Windows Task Scheduler - Run Text Box and paste into NotePad, so you can easily see the very long command-line entry of executing a paragon script.

Yes, the same thing. Its okay because if the Verification "Fails", then it will Display an Error GUI Screen (I know it does this because I tested it once, in the past, by "Editing a Test Acrhive on "purpose" to "Corrupt It" - to test that an Error GUI Screen popped-Up and it did), until you click button to cl"ose it. If there is *no* verification problem, then the GUI verification screen closes automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.