can't make phantastic uninstaller work...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Banshee, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

folks,

I have downloaded pantastic uninstaller. For some reason it doesn't work.
    It can't find the initiation file even if it's there. what am I doing wrong ?

tia

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

3. Banshee

Hi Phantom,

I certainly did that. but when I bring down the "drop-list" there's no initiation file even, as I said in my previous post, the init file is there. so what I see is a white rectangular window and nothing in it. I clicked on the init file as well but no go, :'(

4. Phant0m

5. Banshee

Hi,

I use xp home and I got the uninstaller from ur site. Btw, do u usually uninstall the fw using its own uninstaller and then use yours or do u use the phantastic uninstaller right away ?

6. Phant0m

If Phantastic UnInstaller RunCalls are used in initiation files, it’ll launch the products own uninstaller and wait for software own uninstaller to complete and afterwards Phantastic UnInstaller processes the rest of the initiation file to ensure all has been removed. It can be used after manually uninstalling software, and still have use it to ensure all has been removed.

Can you post me window capture of Phantastic UnInstaller opened on your system with the initiation file selected by selecting drop-list and then selecting the initiation file?

If the initiation is indeed in the drop-list where it should be, you have to select it for it to be the active initiation file to be processed, this is useful for when you have many initiation files.

7. Banshee

hi,

I guess I did not epxlain myself right-when I said the initiation file is there I meant in the _same_ directory and not in phantastic uninstaller.Sorry phantom.
    when I launch phantastic uninstaller I can't choose the initiation file. The drop-list is empty. I even went as far as to click on the inittiation file and go "open with" phantastic uninstaller but no go. o_O

8. Phant0m

Can you confirm

We have
    \Initiations\ Directory

And inside that directory we have LooknStop_Initiation[Official].Init file...

9. Banshee

Yes. I can and do:)

10. Phant0m

Interesting, I’ll have to investigate into this matter.
    I like to thank your for notifying me of this anomaly, and apologize for wasting your valuable time.

11. Phant0m

Just quick question? How long has it been since you downloaded that? And also have you tried re-downloading and trying?

12. Banshee

Phantom,

your not wasting my "invaluable" time. I bet I am doing something wrong.

what I did was, unzip the prog .go to the dir, click on the uninstaller and try to find the initiation file in the uninstaller....

any idea ?

13. Banshee

It works. i was using powerchive to extract the zip and for some reason it was not exatracting it right. did with winzip and all is fine. Thanks.

14. Phant0m

That is indeed excellent news!!!!
    Thanks! :D

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Powerarchiver sometimes does not work for me. I suppose it is something I don't understand, but when the Powerarchiver windows comes up, I don't always find what I think I need. Seems complicated to me.

I know this is off the subject and not to be discussed on this thread, but since that was the problem I thought I would comment.

Jerry

16. Phant0m

What exactly is the problem regarding Powerarchiver? You think a misinterpretation of its features? When you extract does everything within the zip archive does files in subfolders gets placed into the main extracted location? Or does it create the subfolders structure and places the files that were suppose to go in there, in there? Or is this software somehow corrupting files it extracts?

17. Phant0m

I don't use this product, but I know many extracting software has feature like "Do not extract pathnames", is there anything of the sort In PowerArchiver and activated? If this is the case, there would be issues with different softwares when using this program, make sure you aren't using PowerArchiver with that feature activated...

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

PhantOm,

Sorry, but I do not know enough to answer the question.
    Sometimes it opens a window that has all sorts of components and a toolbar that I have not even figured out.

I tried to unzip the new update for Trojan Hunter, and the window or console of PowerArchiver seemed to show the many components of it. I did not understand, and I did get it unzipped, but it did not install. I have had the PA for years, but never really liked it.

I have no idea how to post a picture. If someone has one and could post a picture if it when it opens it would help.

I am sure that folks like you and others here would understand what it is showing, but I just want to unzip and install without all the complexities that PA has. Sorry I can't answer better

Jerry

19. Phant0m

Heh in away you did…

This should be common setup for most Archive Extracting software, when you right click on the downloaded zip (for instance) file, you have menu with options like;

"Extract To..."
    “Extract Here”
    “Extract To ………….”

Using any of those would have worked properly, but if you opened file via “Open” button on the Download window or you executed by double clicking (most cases) on a filename and go-to “Extract” button you see appear the Extract dialog like shown here in this image http://www.powerarchiver.com/images/screenshots/screenshot_extract.gif

If "Do not extract pathnames" is checked [enabled] by default because of changes to settings for automatic use, or by manually checking that feature everytime, this would be of issue for many software installs.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

21. Phant0m

It may be lot less confusing if you read the help file :p
    Or instead of clicking Open button on Download dialog, or double clicking (or single click setup that acts as execution) do a right click on the file for Menu Options and do one of the following.

"Extract To..."
    “Extract Here”
    Extract To ………….” [MOVE]*[/MOVE]

;)

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. I'll see what I can figure out.

Jerry

23. Banshee

Hi,

I had powerarchiver for some time.never liked it and after this probs with P.U.
    I am glad I got rid of it. I am very happy with winzip and winrar.

Btw, thank u all for making this forums so special and thank u phantom for this great lil utility.

nuff ramblings...for now :D

24. Phant0m

No problem you guys, anytime.

Banshee, Thanks! :eek: :D

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have some programs or files that say that they are Power Archiver files. If I delete PA will they continue to work? Off hand I don't remember what they are, but I assume that even though they were unzipped with PA they are not tied to it.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.