Can't make new SATA RAID bootable after cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dave700, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave700

Dave700 Registered Member

Using XP Home & ASUS motherboard. Installed new RAID 0 array (2 SATA hard discs using two SATA ports on motherboard), they were set up OK by Motherboard and XP Windows explorer can see them as E:.

I used True Image 8 to clone original hard disc to the RAID disc - worked OK, but now I cannot make the RAID disc the boot drive. I have changed BIOS settings, including changing "Other BOOT" to match the RAID array and disabled the original Parallel ATA drive. I just get "Disc error - press ctrl-alt-del".

I have tried disconnecting original hard disc and get the same error. I can't connect the RAID discs to the original Parallel ATA port because they are SATA, not parallel. There are no jumpers on the SATA discs.

I have read MS instructions about changing drive letters using the Disc management snap in but it says that this cannot be used to change the system disc.

I was expecting True Image to do all of this for me as part of the cloning process - but obviously not !

Any advice would be gratefully recieved, I would love to try out my new shiny RAID array.

Thanks in advance

Dave :)

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Dave700

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Was that a PATA HDD?
    Did you install the SATA controller to the original HDD's OS, before you did the clone?
    Have you set the BOIS so the SATA Controller is enabled?

Also set SATA as first Boot Device?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  3. Dave700

Thanks for the replies guys. Strange that I didn't get an email telling me that there were replies - should I have done (I requested instant email notification) ?

My original HDD is PATA.

Before installing SATA drives I checked that the appropriate driver was loaded according to the Motherboard instructions - it was loaded and seemed to be working OK. I went through the procedure in the Asus motherboard manual for the Promise RAID chip for setting up the RAID discs. All seems fine and I can see the RAID disc using Windows Explorer so I am reasonably confident that the RAID disc is working. I can see the cloned directories and I can access files normally, but just can't see how to make the SATA RAID drive the one that boots upon startup.

I thought I had set the SATA as the first boot device within the BIOS but I will try this again - I might have set it as the second device after CD drive.

Thanks again, looking forward to any further assistance.

Cheers

Dave

4. fringna

fringna Guest

you work with an asus motherbaord?

pata needs a different driver then the sata raid.
    there are two different controllers on board, one the pata is a promise and the second one is an sata via raid controller (ich5) .
    so many is this the problem.
    i work with the asus p4p800 theluxe ,

sux6

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. Dave700

Thanks for the replies everyone, however I have now got the RAID array working and booting.

I downloaded the latest version of TI8 (Build 786) but this may not have anything to do with the answer.

I decided to reclone from existing PATA hard disc to new SATA RAID discs. (I think perhaps the previous time I used the "New disc" option rather than cloning.

Once I had done this and then set SCSI/Onboard ATA as the first boot device within the BIOS then the system happily booted from the RAID array. I proved this by disconnecting the PATA drive and the computer booted fine.

So thanks once again, but no need to reply anymore. Perhaps this thread might help someone else in the future (although I doubt anyone will be as thick as me !).

Cheers

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.