Can't make an image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Lady Dungeness, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady Dungeness

Lady Dungeness Registered Member

Here's where I originally got the info: http://aumha.net/ -- in their Articles, and in my recent post called Partition for Program Files.

Where is the Dungeness sand spit? I'm up in Chinook country.

QUESTION AUTHORITY. It prevents fascism.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  3. Lady Dungeness

Lady Dungeness Registered Member

Hi Grover,

The conversation has certainly wandered! Yes, I'm able to make images and backups to my USB external. My error was that I didn't have TI installed to the boot drive, and it wouldn't let me make an image until I installed it there.

I've got ongoing, intermittent troubles with USB connectivity. But I'm afraid that's for another forum.

I thank you all for the entertaining conversation and the sage advice.

Lady D

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

As I am understanding your situation,. you can successfully image your laptop direct your external drive but have trouble imaging your desktop using the same external drive. This would seem to point to the desktop as the problem but I would not rule out problems on external drive.

Am assuming that you have a current TI backup of our desktop.

One approach might be to

1. Run an error checking/fixing function (chkdsk) on the external.
    2. Run the disk utility error checking from the external drive manufacturer website.
    3. If you feel comforable doing such, look inside the case and make sure the usb connectors are firmly seated on the motherboard.
    4. The USB connectors are very fragile. Try using a different connector--preferably from the rear panel. Avoid using a multi-port usb device. You may even want to try a different usb cable. Not all cables are equal. Cables are available in various lengths and even available with right angle plugs--should they be necessary.. The better brands are certified to meet the necessary standards.
    http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Cables.html

5. If your usb problems continue, impliment the suggestion made by jmk94943 in your other posting. It could be the solution.
    "If you continue to have USB problems, you might want to delete everything under USB in Device Manager and then reboot with nothing attached to any USB ports. Windows XP will reinstall the USB drivers."
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179124#14

His suggestion should not cause you any grief but as a precaution, run ERUNT before taking this action so you have a backup copy of your most recent Registry settings. As an alternative to running ERunt, you could temporarily create/copy your current hardware profile into an additional copy before removing the USB settings. (My ERunt is set to run daily and additionally on every reboot.)

6. None of this is a guaranteed fix but it's a start. If your problems continue, perhaps you have a friend from whom you could borrow another external drive (different brand) temporarily and see if your results differ. I keep upgrading my internal drives to larger sizes and utilize the removed drives in an external enclosure so I am able to alternate between external drives.7. Be aware of a previous posting "Western Digital My Book External Hard Drive & Acronis True Image"
    This posting comprises two pages and 25 replies.8. If usb still not working correctly, the recommendation of jmk94943 to upgrade to a USB 2.0 PCI card could provide some improvement.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.