Can't make a successful snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by vinn, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Haven't been able to make an error-free Snapshot. Errors are caused because programs are being used by some process and cannot be accessed by FD-ISR. Uninstalled PG, disabled Spyware Guard, turn off Jetico firewall. Wonder if i'm using correct version of FD-ISR? Have 'FirstDefense-ISR 2000xp/ Server'. Thought I downloaded the Workstation version. Can't figure which process is causing the problem.

07/31/2006 04:21:57 Adding "BC5\EXAMPLES\DLLMIX\delphi2c.exe" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 04:21:57 Adding "BC5\EXAMPLES\DLLMIX\handshak.bmp" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 04:21:57 Error - DCF::BackupWrite: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    07/31/2006 04:21:57 Windows error number 0x20
    07/31/2006 04:21:57 Error - Adding "BC5\EXAMPLES\DLLMIX\handshak.bmp" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"

7/31/2006 04:25:03 Creating folder "c59bd64d00159e3fd723be8c8eca\setup\images" in "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 04:25:03 Adding "c59bd64d00159e3fd723be8c8eca\setup\images\autorun_silver_bground.png" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 04:25:03 Error - DCF::BackupWrite: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    07/31/2006 04:25:03 Windows error number 0x20
    07/31/2006 04:25:03 Error - Adding "c59bd64d00159e3fd723be8c8eca\setup\images\autorun_silver_bground.png" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 04:25:03 Adding "c59bd64d00159e3fd723be8c8eca\setup\images\browse_cd.gif" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"

07/31/2006 05:25:51 Adding "unzipped\tutorial\figures\2d\2D-52.gif" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 05:25:51 Adding "unzipped\tutorial\figures\2d\2D-53.gif" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 05:25:51 Adding "unzipped\tutorial\figures\2d\2D-54.gif" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    07/31/2006 05:25:51 Error - DCF::BackupWrite: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    07/31/2006 05:25:51 Windows error number 0x20
    07/31/2006 05:25:51 Error - Adding "unzipped\tutorial\figures\2d\2D-54.gif" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

First I don't think you do have the right version. You shouldn't be running a server version.

The log file errors suggest what ever program is related to those files, they have a self protection mechanism that prevents access. More than likely a security program, and it will need to be disabled.

Pete

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

By the looks of your log, it appears you have a BackUp running at the same time.
    Turn off BackUpWrite/BackUpRead. This medium is used for Tape BackUp. I kinda doubt you're actually using a Tape BackUp.

4. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Uninstalled Back2zip software and still get the errors. Don't have any other backup software. Did a search for DCF::BackupWrite and BackupWrite and found nothing.

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Does that mean you are running a Win 2000/2003 Server ? If not, I'd uninstall that and install the Workstation version, like Peter suggested, and reassess.

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

7. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Running Win2kPro.

8. crofttk

Well, then the Server version is not for you. No way I can tell if that's your main problem.

Have you run chkdsk on your system drive ?

9. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Do Start,Run, chkdsk? Any precautions?

10. crofttk

That won't be so useful on you system drive if you're in Windows, it'll tell you something is wrong even if there isn't.

I believe it works the same way in Windows 2000 as in Windows XP and a better way for you to do it would be to right-click your C: Drive while viewing it in Windows Explorer (or My Computer, same diff), selecting "Properties", then selecting the "Tools" tab, then clicking "Check Now", and then check on "Automatically fix file system errors". Chances are you'll get a message saying words to the effect that the drive couldn't be locked and offering to check it when you next reboot. If you click "Yes" and then reboot, chkdsk will do its thing after it goes through the Windows boot-up splash.

My only precaution would be don't touch anything while chkdsk is running, let it do it's thing. Microsoft has some info that you should check and be alert for: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873437

I must say, however, that from the error messages you posted, chkdsk may do nothing for this problem. But, it is good to do this as a matter of course so that you know your drive has a clean bill of health as far as the file system is concerned.

Here's the rundown wikipedia has on chkdsk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chkdsk and here's MS's official help on chkdsk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chkdsk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  11. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

When I downloaded the evaluation version of FD-ISR, I also got the server version, and it was functioning without problems.
    So, that makes me think that something else is the problem.

Not a quick fix, but maybe a helpful workaround would be to create an empty snapshot and do a fresh installation of windows.
    Then boot into that snapshot, install FD-ISR and try to copy/update your 'problem snapshot' from there.
    This is also a chance for you to evaluate FD-ISR without anything interfering, when you disable your network adapters for the time being, you will be pretty secure in that snapshot.

12. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Think I have the right version of FD-ISR. Want to avoid reinstalling Windows. Raxco says the copy process is failing on image files. Uninstalled all antivirus software. Does Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, or Jetico affect FD?

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use Ad-Aware SE and Spybot together with FDISR without any problems.
    I don't know about Jetico, I use Look 'n' Stop and NOD32 (trial) as AV and DefenseWall (trial).

If I click on Help/About FirstDefense-ISR, I get this :

Product : FirstDefense-ISR 2000/XP Professional
    Version : 1.05 Build 166

What do you have ?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Same here, AdAware and Spybot have not effect on FD, don't even know what Jetico is.

Acadia

15. vinn

vinn Registered Member

16. Dina

Dina Registered Member

I ran the server version as well without a problem. On xp.

17. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Think I have the correct version. Raxco didn't see a problem with it.

18. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Erik I have,

FirstDefense-ISR 2000/XP Server
    Version 3.05 Build 166

OS Win2kPro

19. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Create empty snapshot but system won't boot into it. Set CD ROM as 1st boot device in BIOS. Place OS CD into CD Drive. When select empty Snapshot to boot into get NTLDR missing. Can load OS from CD ROM into C drive. Had to boot into primary snapshot to boot.

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I didn't try an empty snapshot myself yet.
    The red message NTLDR missing is normal, but I don't know the rest.

21. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Was trying wilbertnl's solution but OS won't load from CD into empty snapshot. Have only 2 days trial left and would like to see it work. Keep getting NTLDR missing when press 'Enter' for loading. BIOS has CD ROM as first boot device.

22. wilbertnl

That sounds allright to me. Empty means empty, and nothing more than that. Although your other snapshots still exist.
    When you see NTLDR missing, you just reboot and press the key in order to boot from CD. Then you install Windows, and you make sure that you choose to leave NTFS alone. DO NOT FORMAT!
    When you are finished installing Windows, you install FD-ISR in order to be able to switch to other snapshots.

That sounds like something is wrong with your Windows CD. You are sure there is no floppy in a:?

23. vinn

vinn Registered Member

'A' drive is empty. Have only a primary Snapshot because all copies made have had errors. Deleted them. OS CD is ok because when restart to boot from CD, choice appears to boot from ATAPI CD. This is before FD-ISR screen appears. When choose this option I just stopped short of reloading OS to C drive. At FD-ISR screen choosing to boot to empty Snapshot gives NTLDR missing.

24. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Had created an anchor folder before empty snapshot.

25. wilbertnl

So, there is no technical problem, you just canceled the installation.
    Your anchored data will be available in the empty snapshot and accessible after you continue and finish the installation.
    Again: when you leave the NTFS alone, your original Windows setup won't disappear. It still exists as snapshot #1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.