Can't Install Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kathyL, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

in April, i had a trojan horse virus and thanks to the people here, i was able to get rid of it. i had installed the KAV trial version. of course, that free period is over so i've had to purchase it. i did that, did the download but i cant get anything to open or work and i'm sitting here unprotected.

what am i not doing right?

just a note that i'm taking my family to the Star Wars movie today so wont be around much this afternoon.

thanks in advance!

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Kathy,

It's a little unclear what you have and have not done. For KAV, trial vs full is in the key file. You really should just have to reassociate the new key file - which will have been e-mailed to you by the reseller - to the existing installation.

How long have you been unprotected by the way?

Blue

3. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

did u re-download kav and install on top of the old one ? like BlueZannetti said the trial and full version are the same, just the key is the difference, so you shouldnt have had to download anything new (except the key) unless u uninstalled your old kav..

otherwise its hard to say what the problem is. maybe you should thoroughly uninstall kav and clean out all remains and then do a fresh install...

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I'm a little unsure what you have done, so do this: Download the latest version of Kaspersky from here:http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates save the keyfile you received to a floppy so that you have this when you need it at a later date.

Now exit Kav from the tray (the red "K") and uninstall kav from add/remove programs, install the new kav-version you downloaded and if you use a firewall? then install it like in section 2 from this page from the Kaspersky forum but only if you use a firewall already, if you don't use a firewal then just install normally. When it starts up the first time it needs to update so just leave it for some minutes, you can follow the update progress if you open the main window. :)

5. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

unprotected for several days now.

i got that note from KAV about the key but when i click it, it says it cant open it.

i've been gone all day and had company so just now on computer but its so late, i wont do anything tonight. tomorrow is loaded and we're supposed to be camping next weekend which means i must start getting ready for that...

Don gave some suggestions, so i will try those. i did not uninstall KAV (well, havent yet) before installing the purchased version. i just saved it (the 'buy' version) to my harddrive and when i tried to open or run it, i was told it couldnt open/run it...

6. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

BTW, what does this mean? how do i 'reassociate the new key file'??

it is scary being unprotected.

speaking of KAV... i am getting lots of foreign junk mail ever since KAV was my virus scanner. very frustrating, esp to now be paying for it. never had junk mail with AVG...

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You don't open he key, you basically point to it from within KAV. I don't use KAV Personal, but if it is the same as KAV WS, double click the KAV try icon and select the support tab. Select License Keys. Select Add and browse to the location of the new license key and select it. Not sure if you have to remove the old one or select the new one to identify it as the new current one, but it should be obvious once you get there.

Never seen an increase in junk mail associated with KAV, I'd assume a coincidence here.

Blue

8. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

thanks all. in between talking w/you guys, i'd emailed KAV and i just got a note from them that told me what to do and it looks like i'm 'protected' once again! so updating KAV then scanning my system right now!

Blue, from what i read of your 'how-to', it looks very similar (w/o taking time to compare word to word) to what KAV said, so it looks you you had it pegged, too.

thanks!

9. kathyL

kathyL Registered Member

ok, as i'm running KAV now, i get this:

what do i do about that?

Attached Files:

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Task protection against network attacks - doesnt that refer to the Intrusion detection System?

If you have a firewall, the Intrusion Detection System should remain disabled, or else enable it. :)

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Kathy, like Firecat says, it's nothing to worry about and actually advised if you have a firewall already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.