Can't Install ESET Smart Security 5

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dgtmantis, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgtmantis

dgtmantis Registered Member

I am running Vista 64 bit and I recently purchased Smart Security 5. I had Smart Security 4 already installed and attempted to install 5 thinking that it would upgrade the previous version. I was wrong, obviously.

Anyway, it seems to have uninstalled SS4 but only partially. The "ekrn" service is still running. I restarted in safe mode and deleted all the files associated with ESET identified in this post:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2116#uninstall

I then disabled the "ekrn" service through the task manager. I restarted and tried to install and about halfway through, it rolls back the installation and says that the install failed due to an error.

I do not have the uninstaller on my computer because that was deleted on the first attempted install. Basically only the ekrn service exists, but it seems this is hindering the SS5 from installing.

Please help!

2. dgtmantis

I literally searched "ESET Uninstaller tool" and after some digging found the AV uninstaller tool listed here:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289

I ran the uninstaller in safe mode and deleted everything it found. I restarted and Smart Security 5 began installing then rolled back AGAIN!!!

I then ran the uninstaller (in normal mode) and sure enough, ESET and NOD were back and listed to be uninstalled again. Please see the attached log.

What is going on?

Attached Files:

3. dgtmantis

So nothing? No one can help at all?

Well, to make things even more futile, I turned off User Account Control in Vista and after an uninstall in safe mode and a restart, it still failed.

I even attempted to install by the online installer as well as the manual download. Both failed.

I have now attempted to install this program about a dozen times.

4. dgtmantis

One more thing! Ever since I started all these futile install attempts, my internet connection disconnects randomly.

It will be working fine then cut off with no indication. I have to disable then re-enable my connection to get it to connect again.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

run the eset removal tool again in safe mode. also check event viewer logs for errors or warnings

6. dgtmantis

Yeah, so...I did exactly like you suggested and restarted in safe mode, ran the uninstaller and deleted the two entries I found "eset" and "nod". I restarted and got back into normal mode. I ran the manual download and it rolled back again.

I am so frustrated. I ran the uninstaller right after the failed install and "eset" and "nod" are back on the list to be uninstalled.

I have literally done this atleast half a dozen times.

7. dgtmantis

By the way, thanks for replying. I do not mean to be flippant or dismissive...I am just extremely frustrated (as I said above...lol).

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We'll need to get an install log created as per the instructions here in order to determine the cause of the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.