Can't Install Avira Personal Premium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I purchased an Avira Personal Premium license a few minutes ago. I got my activation code, and started the install process. I entered the activation code, clicked next, and got a message stating an internet connection could not be created, and that I need an internet connection to continue the process.

As you can see, the fact that I'm posting this proves I have an internet connection. I tried installing 3 times, and always the same message. What the heck is going on? I just paid $26 for this software, and I'm not going to be able to use it?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello graystroke,

I had a similar issue as you have but with a different software that kept telling can't establish an connection. This is how I solved it. You should create a rule for the activation program called antivir_workstation_winu_en_hp.exe (I have found that information here) in your firewall so it's allowed to connect to the internet but you also need to be sure that the activation program can listen on any ports and to any ip-address that should normally solve your problem. I only know how to do that in my firewall. I think that you need to edit that firewall rule.

Kind regards,
    Niels

3. icr

icr Registered Member

Disable the Windows firewall temporarily
    Hope this help Good Luck:thumb:

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I tried Avira Premium that is what I had to do to activate. temporarily turn off the firewall

5. Graystoke

I don't have a firewall running at this time. I had NIS 2009 installed, and I uninstalled it before I ran the Avira install.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There was a bug or issue at one time where you'd get this message occasionally during a regular update check. I ran into it when I used Avira a few times. It acted like it had no access to the internet, which was obviously bogus. Hard to say, but perhaps this issue is effecting you in some way now.

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Graystoke, if you still can't activate the program please contact customer support: avpe[AT]avira.com

8. Graystoke

I asked about this over at the Avira forum, and also contacted Avira Customer Care. I got a reply at the forum, but it was something I already tried. I don't know when I'll get a reply from Customer Care. This is a little upsetting. I hear so much about how good Avira is, and they make it difficult to install.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Are you sure NIS2009 has been thoroughly uninstalled? Symantec has a special program to clean up completely registry leftovers. Did you have any problems with the trial period (Avira's 30 day trial)?

10. Graystoke

I ran the Norton removal tool after the uninstall.

I got the same error message with the trial version of Avira, but some how it installed.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Is there any way you can install it without entering the code, then later, try entering the code again?

12. Graystoke

I tried that. I installed Avira without the code, but I couldn't see anything about where to enter the code. Clicking on Help in Avira led to me to the Avira site where it explained how to enter the Avira activation key. I don't have an activation key.

13. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Can you post some screen shots? It might help as this seems to be a new activation procedure. When I purchased Avira a few months ago, they sent me an activation key file which I can use to reinstall with, if necessary.

14. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

Try uninstalling Avira then using the Avira AntiVir RegistryCleaner from HERE and try and reinstall.

:)

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

WHen I used a free 6 month trial of Avira Premium, they always gave me a key file. When you install, you just aim it to the key file, and bingo, done. I don't recall ever entering any code or any online verification. But I assumed that was something new they do now when you mentioned it.

16. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

When inserting the activation code, it will produce the HBEDV.key and is created in the installation directory of Avira. It's good to save that HBEDV.key. They used to send the key, but I also received an activation code and when installing, a window will appear with 3 options to activate. Whenever re-installing, you can either use the activation code again or the key you have saved.

17. Graystoke

When I purchased Avira Premium over a year ago, I received the HBEDV.key as an attachment in the conformation e-mail. For some reason they don't do that anymore. I can't remember it the conformation letter came from Cleverbridge back then. It does now.

I only saw two options, run as trial, or add activation code. I didn't know about the HBEDV.key in the installation directory.

18. Big Apple

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would contact them and see if they will send you a key file for your license. If they will, then problem solved.

20. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

You can download it perfectly fine online - just log in to your account...

21. Big Apple

It makes no difference having an activation code or key file. You can enter either one. Why should the key file be better to enter than the activation code?

22. doktornotor

If you actually read the very first post, you'll notice that the activation code plain doesn't work for OP. So having the license key would obviously be a whole lot better in such situation.

23. Big Apple

Yes, great option. Why wouldn't that work for him?

24. doktornotor

If by "that" you mean the activation then I have no clue why it doesn't work for him; he should ask Avira support presumably. I'm offering an alternative solution, do you actually have a problem with that or what's exactly your trouble here?! :rolleyes:

If you mean the link, it's not advertised anywhere visibly on their homepage.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

greystoke, I shot off a email to this thread. Hang in there, it will get corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.