Can't go to Spybot Search & Destroy page...?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by housepiglet, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. housepiglet

housepiglet Registered Member

Hi,

I've been reading the "what's your current protection" thread to get an idea of what I might use with my new Vista (ugh) setup. Spybot Search and Destroy seems to be part of many people's armoury, and it's something I've used in the past, but each time I enter the words into Google and then try to browse to one of the referenced pages NOD32 prevents me from doing it, saying that it's blocked the address. Also, I've noticed that the programme shown on the Spybot S&D page doesn't seem to be called by that name any more: it's AntiSpywareBOT.

I've looked around here with the Search function but I can't find any info about this. Can anyone please tell me what's happening?

I'm using NOD32 3.0.650.0, btw.

Many thanks for any help o_O

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

3. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Hi,

antispywarebot is a rogue (fake) antispyware application which trys to feed off spybot's good name. Avoid it like the plauge, and only download spybot: S&D from a trusted source (i.e. official mirror or official site: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html )

You probably clicked one of the "sponsored links" in google which leads to antispywarebot scumware page.

123.JPG

Edit: corrected typo+added image

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Are you sure ?

spybot sd.png

NOD32 prevents you from downloading "it" because it is not "it" . You are somehow visiting the wrong page . AntiSpywareBOT is a rogue/fake program , something you definitely would not want on your machine

+++antispy~warebot.com+++ is not a place your like to visit (DO NOT TRY TO VISIT IT)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  5. housepiglet

Many thanks to all of you, and in particular to Baz for explaining. That's exactly what I did i.e. I followed several links from Google. It's incredibly convincing stuff! What a lucky escape...

Many thanks again :)

6. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

No problem....

Just be aware of the difference between sponsored links and the actual search results. The sponsored links are often abused by dubious entities to snare an unsuspecting user into downloading something they didn't ask for.

7. housepiglet

Just be aware of the difference between sponsored links and the actual search results

I will now, thanks. I do try to be careful, and aware, but it just goes to show how easily it's possible to be tripped up. I'll be more vigilant :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.