Can't Get Unity to Run on Mint

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Yes, I know Ubuntu would make sense since it is so much like Mint but with Unity already the default. Regardless, I'm trying to try out Unity on my Mom's Linux Mint installation, but I never get the option to switch to Unity in the session thing on the login.

I have gone to the package manager and got Unity, and it's shown as installed, but the option is not available, only MATE, last session, and some other things that aren't it. Today I did sudo apt-get install unity, but that didn't work either.

I have done this before with E17 and that had shown up but not Unity.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Have you installed Unity 2D? If its not GNOME 3.4 on your computer, you won't see the new llvmpipe software rendering technology. If you have an earlier version of Linux Mint - you can run only Unity 2D if your Mom's computer doesn't have accelerated graphics hardware. If it does have it, then you should install Unity 3D. Hope this helps.

3. Brandonn2010

It didn't work. I've tried installing Unity and Unity-2D. Both say they are installed. I even tried removing them and reinstalling but it still doesn't show as an option in the session manager at login.

Also, is there a way to uninstall packages installed by other installations, like when I installed Unity, it installed a bunch of other necessary packages, but when you go to uninstall, it doesn't automatically remove the requisite packages.

4. Brandonn2010

Ok I got it. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

However that gave me all the programs and stuff Ubuntu has. I switched to it, wasn't too happy. I went to uninstall programs from it, and it said they were removed, yet they were still in the software manager afterwards with the remove option still there! :thumbd:

So I decided to go back to MATE, but there were some other options for sessions as well. I selected MATE but the desktop and theme were messed up, and there were some errors it gave me, so I will probably just format and reinstall just Ubuntu later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.