Cant get started with P.E.

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by tutankamon, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi,
    I have just bought P.E. I downloaded the unzipped feyfile, I put the keyfile, pekey, in the same folder as Port Explorer, when I try to launch P.E. i keep getting a little box saying put your keyfile port.pkf in the same directory as port explorer, I dont have port.pkf, but I do have pekey, which is in the same folder as port explorer. why will the program not run?

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

try rename "pekey" into "port.pkf" ?

3. tutankamon

Hi gkweb,
    I have done as you suggest, no luck port explore still asks for port.zip, I have not got port.zip.
    What now?

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

No PEKEY is pekey.exe ? this is a keyfile INSTALLER which you can RUN (its an EXE)

You should turn on viewing of extensions so you know what files you are actually dealing with

PORT.PKF is you keyfile and is an attachment on the email - port.zip. If you click on that Winzip should open it and you can extract the key. If you cant click on the attachment maybe Outlook Express is blocking all attachments. In this case go to Tools > Options and in Security turn off that option to block attachments:)

Now if you dont have a zip program Windows wont know how to open the zip. In that case you run the PEKEY.EXE you can download from the website, and it will ask you where to find PORT.ZIP.. then it will save the key for you to the PE folder

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

In the email we sent, click on the attachment - can you click it to open it or save it ? Open would be the first thing to try, to see if you can see inside the zip to get that port.pkf out :)

6. tutankamon

Hi Gavin,
    I deleted the e mail as suggested, as it did not appear to unzip, I downloaded the pekey.exe as linked in the e mail. I put this file in the same folder as port explorer, but I keep getting asked for the zip file, which I do not have. I downloaded and installed TDS3 with its keyfile, a while ago with no problems at all, but I`ve gone astray with this one. Perhaps I will have to start again from scratch with a fresh e mail from Diamond CS.

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

When you look at the email, does it have an attachment ?

If yes, can you click on IT, or can you choose save attachments ?

Once you save it, the pekey.exe can be used to unzip it, thats the easy part :)

8. tutankamon

Hi Gavin,
    I have deleted the e mail so I cant click on the attachment, I thought downloading the pekey was an alternative to unzipping the port.zip. Any way I`ve sent an e mail to Diamond CS explaining, so perhaps we will start all over again

9. tutankamon

Hi all,
    At last!! I went back to my e mail and checked if I had emptied my deleted inbox files, good luck, I had not, so I was able to recall my e mail from Diamond CS.I have now done the installed the program correctly, I have now got port.zip, and I am now up and running.
    Thaink you for your replies.

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Glad you got there Tutankamon, Now take your time and read through the posts here ans especially the PE help file. It will take a bit of learning but you will learn a great deal about how your PC interacts with itself & the Internat.

Have Fun - Pilli :)

11. Gavin - DiamondCS

Great !

I didnt mean to delete the email, you can click File > Save and save the email as a .EML file if you like (Outlook) for a permanent backup. Glad its all sorted out and hope you enjoy the program :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.