Can't Find My Image on DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jaslane, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaslane

jaslane Registered Member

Just downloaded True Image 9.0 today, so I could begin writing images directly to DVD. (I have been using v. 8.0 until now.) I ran a full backup of my 20GB laptop hard drive, which took about 20 minutes. At completion, True Image said something like "Image Created Successfully," and ejected the DVD from the drive.

I wanted to run a Verify right away, so I plunked the disc back in and requested a verify. True Image could not find any file on the disc/drive. The Backup Archive Validation Wizard sees the disc as "Acronis Media Disc (J:) - Compact Disc - Free Space: 0 bytes - Total Size 4.38GB." It lists no filenames.

So I looked at the disc in Windows Explorer, and it lists the drive as "Acronis Media (J:)," but it lists no files on the disc. So the disc seems to have gotten a volume name, but nothing else identifiable by Windows, or by True Image.

Now, I know I gave the image a filename while setting up the imaging run, but I don't seem to have created a recognizable file. While the imaging process was proceeding, the drive was whirring and flashing away, as if it were really writing something. And True Image told me that the process was successfully completed. Yet I'm not sure whether I have an image, or at least how to access it/verify it.

I am a newbie at burning directly to DVD. In the past, I have written images to my HD, then burned to DVD using Nero or whatever. I always saw filenames.

Can anyone suggest how I may have gotten the result, and what I need to do differently?

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

2. jaslane

I made a second pass through this forum to see if anyone had encountered this problem before. This time, I found a thread discussing this very issue. I apologize for missing this in my first search. I try to avoid congesting forums with repeat questions.

Nevertheless, there was no resolution of the problem offered in that thread, so I'm still looking for an answer on how to write images directly to DVD (and then find them afterward).

BTW, my newly dowloaded software is build 3,677.

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Stick to writing the images first to an external hard drive then burning them to DVD. You will not get bald as quickly. :D :D Plus it is much faster backing up to a hard drive.

4. jaslane

I guess that's going to be the answer for now, since I can't find another solution. (And, I certainly don't want to go bald because of this ;-)

I must say, though, that I'm disappointed. The reason I spent the bucks to upgrade to this version (9.0) was because of its well-publicized capability to write directly to DVD. Perhaps this has turned out to be only a pipe dream?

Again, thanks for your advice. Sounds like you're speaking from experience.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

No, it's not a pipe dream. It works for some. But with large hard drives so inexpensive now, to me, it is a waste of time backing up directly to dvds. And also if you get past the writing directly to dvds, it seems that the planets have to be aligned just right when it comes to restoring from them - as others have reported problems in restoring.

6. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

Just to confirm, I've made several full system backups directly to DVD. As long as the image is contained on one DVD only, I've never had a problem. I have yet to get Acronis to restore an imaged that is spanned across DVD's.

FYI. To see the file in Acronis, you do have to click on the drive itself. Clicking on the + sign does not cause the files on the drive to show. They show only after you've clicked on the drive itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.