can't find java on computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by resa05, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I know I have Java on my computer. However when I look under Add/Remove Programs, it doesn't show up in that list. When I use Search under the Start Menu and search in All Files and Folders it appears. I am haveing a problem with my Java, I don't know if I need a special type of Java or not or if I have the wrong 'one' installed or not. When I go to www.pogo.com and play games that are supported by Java, that Java Applet window freezes and locks up. I'm unable to click on anything on that Java running applet. Does anyone know whats causeing this? If so can you help me? Thank You All Very Much!!!....

Xp SP2, AVG FREE...i have Java (TM) Platform
    Sincerely,
    Resa :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can check your java at. click start/run/type regedit in box/ click ok and then click local machine/software/ and look for, see screen shot

Attached Files:

3. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

did not see a anything called "screen shot" ...pls reply back...ty

4. bigc73542

this is the screen shot of what to look for in the registry at the location I posted above. At least you will see if you do have the java plugin

Attached Files:

5. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

i dont see anything that says java plugin

6. bigc73542

You might just be better off to reinstall java from here use the offline installation.

7. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

sorry thats not working for me...

Thanks anyways :)

8. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

What do I do now since I downloaded Java from Java.com? It seems like Java is still acting the same way as far as running very slowly...

I have removed the java platform manual installation, and i'm still haveing the same problem before i downloaded it, and had more after i downloaded it. That is why I removed it so soon from my PC. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME...IM BEGGING HERE..
    THANK YOU ALL SO SO SO MUCH :)

9. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I always have a problem with java too. Freezing, kicking me completely off line, or just not showing up, is there something we should be looking for, other than the updates? Does it take alot of RAM (512mb), it seems to slow to a crawl or freeze, when I click on some java applets it kicks me clean offline? Does some security programs effect it?
    Maybe we have the same problem?

Thanks for any advice or info!

Marja:cool:

10. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

Maria, I don't know a lick about Ram because i have 192 Ram ...(if that helps anyone help me) My windows are opening and working, but once they are opened and the game begins it starts slowing down my computer and making my Internet Explorer run alot more slowly!
    Thanks

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

If I have already downloaded Sun Java without removing Micr. Java is that ok...If so far I feel like Java is running smoothly?

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

From the link:

As of this writing Microsoft no longer supports the MS JVM and it has become obsolete. There have also been known security issues with un patched version of the MS JVM we advise that you remove it and install the safer SUN JVM as an alternative. If you have Windows XP SP1a installed on your computer, then you do not have the MS JVM installed on your machine.

14. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

i have xp SP2....since I need to remove MS JVM, would you please send me directions on how to remove and then reinstall what is needed?

Thanks a Million.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I was just reading other forums on SP2 and wanted to know before I make any other downloads or whatever do I need to reconsider haveing SP2? Or is it non-removeable?

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Before we get too far along here, you need to make sure that Windows is activated. Otherwise, we are wasting time.
    You can install SP2 and uninstall it from the control panel if you desire.
    I installed SP2 last August and haven't had any problems. Some people have.

Do you have MS Java installed as referred to in the link?

18. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

Yes, I have Java Installed as referred to in the link. I can't activate windows however until the "guy" comes back into town. He said it would be another wk an da half or more....I still haven't removed MVM because I still havne't figured it out.

19. TomS

TomS Registered Member

I have the same problem with Pogo, only it completly shuts down my browser. I have tried it using Mozilla Firefox and IE, no difference. I have sun java with configured automatic updates, so I have the latest. I don't know about microsoft java, I will check it out, but sure getting tired of getting kicked out of Pogo.

I am running window XP Home SP2 :oops:

Tom

20. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I did a few configurations under the control panel for my java and it seems to be working just fine now..Thank You all much :)

21. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

.....it seems that site didn't help me find the answer on how to remove microsoft virtual machine....and im haveing problems with sun java again...its not showing the very tip of the bottom on some applets which is important for some games...what now? ....thank you all very much if i ever do forget to say thanks a mil :)

22. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

There is some problems using Sun JRE with some applet games, for instance http://www.fluxgfx.com/ssc/showthread.php?t=28

You might want to contact Sun Java developers and get them to try Sun JRE on a couple of applet games, there are problems needing to be fixed.

23. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

i was curious to know that why doesn't my picture look more like the one you have there in that screen shot? and i don't just have where it says
    ...underneath java updates it says java web start i click on the plus sign and it has a bunch of folders with numbers by them lol i know this sounds ridiculous but im curious to know if its right since my java is now completely not working? im also curious to know if i should remove java and reinstall...and if i do that which one...manual or offline installation?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  24. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

i tried..uninstalling java and reinstalling it and the applet window that i open to play dominoes in...well a little strip at the bottom...i cant see because of the 'little tan strip' at the bottom of the window (the strip that reads 'done' and at the bottom right it says 'internet' well that little strip right there...(if you know what im talking about). covers a little strip of the java applet off to where i cant see that chat 'send' button and the little space to type and talk i cant see it to click it....i hope that makes sense for ya'll!!!

25. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

also i just realized i have two java icons (identical) in my task bar next totthe timeo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.