Cant defrag?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Kegel, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

The built in windows XP defrag works, although at the end of the defrag, it reports that it couldn't defrag 2 files associated with Process Guard (can't remember their names but they were PG files.). This isn't the problem but it's related....

I use O&O Defrag to defrag my system normally. For some reason after installing PG, it wont defrag anymore. It just hangs on the first cluster...hard drive is working and it appears to be trying to defrag, it just wont move past the 1% stage. Any ideas? o&o defrag does not work in safe mode...already tried that.

Other than that, I dont seem to be having any problems with the program...

2. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

I had a sort of similar problem with Perfect Disk. Problem remained when I uninstalled pG. I felt PG was more necessary than Perfect Disk so I registered PG. The Perfect Disk problem remained. I did a quick reinstall of Perfect Disk (over the first install) and the problem disappeared. What appeared to be the culprit was PG stopped one of Perfect Disk's services from starting. It may have just been coincidental that it happened when it did but upon my first reboot, PG allowed the Perfect Disk service to run and everything is great now.

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Process Guard blocks *ALL* access to a few of it's files at the driver level. If you really want to defrag these two files simply turn off Process Guard's protection whilst the defrag is taking place. :)

4. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

LOL. I dont care about 2 files. It wont defrag at all. The windows defrager works fine....with the exception of those 2 locked PG files...no biggie. O&O Defrag, on the other hand, loads OK, starts defragging, but it never gets past 1%...seems to be cAught on 1 file.

5. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Feivel....THANK YOU! It worked...uninstalled and reinstalled...now it works. Have no idea why...but it works. This program ROCKS.....and the support is even better. Thank you all.

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Sorry Kegel, I misread your original statement. Some people have asked previously about the 2 files not being able to be defragged so I was just making sure you knew the solution to that problem. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.