Can't decide

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Mike2007x86, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike2007x86

Mike2007x86 Registered Member

Hello, I just got done reinstalling my operating system. The only thing on it right now is:

ATI Drivers + Sound + Ethernet
    NOD32 Anti-Virus and Outpost 4.0

I have optimized my brand new reinstall down to this: 14 Processes under task manager
    Finally I installed all security updates and Defragged turning off restore for more resources.

I have looked thru the various anti-trojans, but I am not sure which is the best. I want resources and speed while having great protection or The best protection.

Which should I install?
    BoClean
    TrojanHunter
    Ewido
    A-Squared
    or any other type that I'm unaware of

While this is on a different topic I wanted to try and understand why people are using comodo over outpost, what does it have that outpost doesn't?

Does it protect better and is the firewall more secure?

My renewal for OP4 comes up in 17 days so I'm interested in knowing why comodo is mentioned quite often.

Thanks

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

BOClean :thumb:

Simple,Comodo is free.Not my first choice for a firewall but others here like it.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You have one of the best firewalls and AVs, what you may consider to have now are these: a sandbox/virtualization app and a real time antiwalmare app such as OA w/o friewall or Prevx1. And basically you are covered. You may sprinkle w/ some top line on demand AS such as SAS free. Your chance to get infected has been very much minimized. My experieces warrant this statement. I have paid dearly for my learned experiences. Have a nice one. BTW, get BOclean, if it becomes a freeware after that heartbroken merger.

4. Mike2007x86

Thank you

I actually have a license to all four, but I just needed to know which one to install since I didn't want to bog down my system with x amount of security apps.

I was weighing my security decision like this before I even posted, but like I said I just could not make a final decision "can't decide".
    80% on BoClean
    60% A-Squared
    40% Ewido
    40% TrojanHunter

Is 4.23 available or will it be available to those who don't own comodo?
    I see nowhere to upgrade to version 4.23 on NSClean.com

How does this merger exactly affect BoClean?

Thanks

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You may want to do a bit research/search on this forum, which I nick it as "a google of today's cyber- security concerns". You will find plenty of info you need to make up your mind re those apps. Good luck.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

BOClean is now owned by Comodo.Kevin McAleavey is now with Comodo and is dedicated on improving and updating BOClean.(Not that it needs improving IMO) As far as I know it is not avaliable for sale any more nor is it avalible for free.(Yet) But with Kevin still hard at work I believe BOClean can only get better because now BOClean has Comodo's resorces.Check out this discussion on the subject.https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=169978

7. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

There is a Comodo BOClean board up over on the Comodo forums.
    Kevin is over there posting daily now, he also goes into great detail about using BOClean, what the program is, what it does and what it doesn't do, mostly for the people who have never heard of BC or just curious to try it once it comes out as freeware.

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/board,83.0.html

I've been using BOClean for a little over 2 years now and would put it at the top of my list also.

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Is there any particular reason why you want to have active protection ?
    On demand A-Squared ( and ignore the False Positives) of AVG Anti-Spyware every so often should be good enough unless you go looking for trouble.
    A hardware firewall router would even allow you to dispense with Outpost and speed things up a little.

9. Mike2007x86

When using p2p apps like games and usenet, I always assumed an Anti-Trojan would be neccessary. Isn't it more secure to have an AT for general everyday surfing.

Its been my experience that when I plug up my 802.11B/802.11G/A-Open OpenSoho routers that it takes twice as long to even open up a webpage.
    Thats on the newest firmware default settings.

I've searched the net far and wide for info on how to properly setup a linksys 802.11 router and come up short everytime. Not a single good, very detailed
    802.11 setup guide.

I'm open to the idea if I can just figure out how to properly set one up.

You'd think with all the 802.11's out there that someone would create a setup guide with snapshots showing how set it up. Kinda like NOD32's extra setting sticky post.

Thanks for the assist
    I installed BoClean standalone app

10. jawadde

jawadde Registered Member

i think a-squared is better than boclean...i think i've read it on av-comparisons

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Mike :)

I know I am repeating the question, but why do you feel that you need a dedicated AT? Don't you have an anti-malware (AV, AT & AS) already (NOD)? If you worry about file sharing (P2P), I would rather suggest using peer-blocking freeware like Peer Guardian as a complement to your firewall, or just find & install a free Blockpost plugin for Outpost.

Regards.

12. Mike2007x86

I wasn't aware that NOD32 was a combined product.
    I thought it was a specific AV:oops:

I will give peer guardian a shot the next time I use a p2p app.

Outpost 4 Expires in 16 Days:
    Currently evaluating Comodo PF 2.4.18.184
    Next Evaluation Look n' Stop 2.06 Beta 2
    Final Evaluation Jetico PF

13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hey Mike :)

Yes, NOD is very much covering your AT needs. As most AVs do nowadays. Regarding P2P, try Protowall also (sorry for the lack of link, but you'll find it googling without prob.) it is a free IP blacklister as well. These blockers are pretty much all you need for P2P protection, providing that you include some common sense in the equation... (Sorry, I can't comment on Comodo fw, it's not my preference)

See ya. ;)

14. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Mike, regarding your linksys, you could try asking for help on the linksys forum here http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all and be specific with your model, firmware version, etc.

I use Comodo ver. 2.4 and its pretty good. It does have a couple bugs though. As far as Comodo ver.3 is concerned they are set to beta it very soon. Also, as far as I know you will have the choice to run the ver. 3 firewall with or without the hips. Comodo BOClean is suppose to be available very soon also. From what I read it will always be available as a stand alone program if you want it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.