Cant Decide what to use

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TVH, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVH

TVH Registered Member

What would be more effective: Outpost Pro 2008 with ProSecurity or OA with its HIPS or Comodo with its Defence +?

2. koliko

koliko Registered Member

These are all great products. You should try all of them and decide which one suits you the best. I prefer the latter two myself, but since I use Vista, Comodo v3.0.14 (D+ enabled) is what I'm running right now - no problems whatsoever. When OA becomes Vista compatible, I'll definitely give it a try! ;)
    Cheers
    koliko

3. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

i'd recommend what my avatar shows :p

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Try all of them.

OA is easier than comodo but comodo is more customizable.

5. TVH

TVH Registered Member

I think ill settle with outpost pro and Prosecurity. Works great with nod32.

Dont really like OA anymore, but i really like comodo as well. So choice between Outpost 2008 with Prosecurity and comodo 3. What would you choose? Is comodo's Defence + HIPS as effective as Prosecurity?

6. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Well every HIPS looks like every one really.

Comodo goes further than prosecurity? How the heck did you come to this conclusion? No. Not being a fanboy of comodo, I can still seriously say though Comodo comes close and Defense+ is one of the most comprehensive HIPS out there (not always a good thing btw) , but Prosecurity is still tops at least in feature set.

Horrible argument. If you really believe in this argument, you can just implement one feature (process launch control) and forget about all the rest of the HIPS features.... :D

7. Coolio10

Guess your right..:D

8. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

False Coolio, OP did not mention that he was talking about the free version of OA. OA paid is many more customizable than free version

MaB

9. Coolio10

Hmmmmmm :isay:

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I also try to make my choices by which program has the most potential to screw up my PC for what ever reason. Being an average user it concerns me when a program may cover so much ground like Comod and ProSecurity. I have uswd both seperately without incidence, but the fear is there. Out of the options mentioned, Comodo would be my choice, but how safe is this to use would be me question compared to OA Free let's say?

11. Coolio10

Define Safe? Did not know firewalls were dangerous.

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I mean what's the chances of the HIPS of some of these firewalls malfunctioning and causing PC problems. You know, blocking or stopping a known process that's detrimental to the PC working properly.

13. Coolio10

Comodo has a huge safe list and clean pc mode would automatically allow windows files.

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Are you running XP, Vista, or what as your OS? That question needs answered first.

15. Coolio10

Probably Windows XP since he made OA one of his choices?

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks Coolio10. So on a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being the safest. How safe do you rate Comodo running on Windows XP?

17. Coolio10

Can't answer that. It always depends on the persons computer. Plus why ask someone who is a so called "fanboy" :D.
    But i have never seen someone report xp being broken by comodo.

18. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I would say try those combinations.Every PC behaves differently, until you have tried them you cant really decide what is best for you.

I use Online Armor paid one just because it suites me and my habits. I did use Comodo before that, but it wasnt the version with the HIPS on it so i cant say anything about it.

19. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Just to clarify im running XP sp2 (I hate vista) and tried OA free but dont like it.

Prosecurity seems to be a much more effective HIPS from what ive read and Outpost's firewall is just as good and effective as Comodo's afaik (correct me if im wrong) so i think ill stick with these two.

20. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Changed it. Outpost causing a few problems and i cant be bothered with it anymore. Im now using comodo 3 with defence + disabled along with ProSecurity HIPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.