Can't create new partition in unallocated space

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jacquex, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacquex

jacquex Registered Member

I started using the Director Suite yesterday and I bumped into a problem, I hope someone can point me to the right direction.

My new computer (XP pro, SP2) came with a 75GB hard drive, most of it was assigned to C: (~70GB) and the rest was split into two hidden partitions used by some Dell stuff.

I bought the Disc Director and firstly successfully created a small primary partition of 1.5GB for Win98. Then I resized the main partition (C) to ~20GB which left me with almost 50GB of unallocated space where I wanted to create a few more partitions. However, when I click on "Create new partition" for this unallocated space I get an error (something like "Can't create new partition", no detailed explanations). I also tried performing this operation from the built-in Disk management tool in XP, I can see the unallocated space (healthy), but when I right click on it the "Create new partition" option is disabled.

I also tried performing this from the Acronis bootable disk, with no success (same error message).

So, I thought someone here could help me before I contact support. The beginning of the Acronis generated report is:

Code:
                         Speed IFace Hs-Bs-Tg Model                     
    Num  NT    L9NO  Size FSsize Free FS     Type            Label       ABCHSV
    ---- ----- ---- ----- ----- ----- ------ --------------- ----------- ------
    1-   d(0)        75G   10M ATA   0-0-0    WDC WD800BB-75FJA1 14.0   
      -1  p(1) ----   55M   55M   48M FAT16  DE EISA configu             --C--V
      -2  p(2) --CC   20G   20G   12G NTFS   07 NTFS, HPFS   WinXP...... A-C--V
                      49G             free                               ------
      -3  p(3) ----  3.5G  3.5G  1.9G FAT32  DB Concurrent D             --C--V
      -4  p(4) CCDF  1.5G  1.5G  1.5G FAT16  0E FAT16 LBA    WIN98       --C--V
    Disk 1 properties:
      BIOS number:   0x80
      Geometry:      9727 255 63
      Total sectors: 156250000

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jacquex,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/).

The thing is that you can have only four partitions (primary or extended) on your hard hisk drive. Then you can create logical disks on your extended partition.

Now you have four primary partitions. You should delete one of them and then create an extended partition and create logical disks on it.

Thank you.

3. jacquex

jacquex Registered Member

Thanks Andrew, that solved the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.