Can't create DVD backup with ATI 10.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AVEE8ER, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVEE8ER

AVEE8ER Registered Member

I did a fresh install on my computer, I want to create a full backup of the drive like I used to with Ghost, I boot from the ATI Boot Disk and try to do a full backup to my E drive DVD burner, the only drive showing is C but I can type in E and CD Drive pops up on the right half of the screen, I give the backup a name, when I try to continue I get the following message:

E0004000A
    Error Creating File

Equipment in sig below.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'd guess that the driver for your DVD isn't compiled into the kernel. I'm not sure though whether DVD backup has ever been possible from the rescue CD (talking v9 here).

Colin

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Colin,

Imaging to DVD from within the boot rescue environment has been possible since TI 9.0 Home Build 3633 (albeit with a number of "anomalies").

I wonder whether AVEE8ER can successfully image to DVD in Windows mode? If so, this would definitely point to an incompatibility problem between his CD/DVD recorder and the rescue CD's Linux kernel.

Regards

4. AVEE8ER

Good mornng,

I can burn an image to a DVD from within Windows, no problem there.

The rescue CD is Linux based? I missed that.

Thanks!

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes when you select the FULL version on bootup. It is memory-resident and IMO one of the weaknesses in the TI implementation because it relies on having a broad driver selection to keep everybody happy. Unfortunately, this isn't the reality and it requires bug reports to get a driver added to the Linux rescue environment - it can't be done by (most) users.

The TI SAFE selection runs in DOS and uses the BIOS. This means, depending on the PC, it may or may not support devices like USB and perhaps your DVD drive. Reports indicate that even if the PC supports USB in this manner it is very slow.

Another option is to create a BartPE disk which is a Windows environment. If you do a complete install of TI it will create a folder on your HD with the TI plugin. You can search this forum for more info on BartPE. Building the BartPE disk looks intimidating at first but once you get the files setup the process is quite automated. You can also add various newer or special drivers for other devices such as network cards to the BartPE disk too.

6. AVEE8ER

Ahhh, I'll try and create a new disk using SAFE version and then try again.

I knew I should have selected both when I created the boot disk!

Thanks!

7. AVEE8ER

Ok, I created a new boot disk with SAFE and FULL options, booting to SAFE version does not give me the option to burn to a CD or DVD drive, in other words same problem as the FULL version.

I tried swapping out my newest burner with one that's about three years old thinking it may be too new to be supported, that didn't work either.

Anyone?

Thanks!

8. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi AVEE8ER,

If it works under Windows I suggest you embark on a two-pronged attack :

1) Raise a support request with Acronis and work with them to resolve it.
    2) Create a BartPE boot disk. This is much easier than it might seem at first. Start by looking at this helpful post by cdo5

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=839781&postcount=1

F.

9. AVEE8ER

Thanks for the advice, I did the above and made the disk, I boot from it but still have no CD/DVD drives appearing on the left side of the Acronis menu. (the side with My Computer, C:, etc)

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Interesting; are you saying that even the BartPe system isn't showing the optical drives?

Colin

11. AVEE8ER

When I start Acronis from within BartPe I see the same thing I see when trying to launch Acronis from the recovery disk.

There are no CD/DVD drives listed on the left.

I bought Ghost 10.0 (though I really didn't want to), the emergency disk couldn't complete the boot process, what I found here is that there are some NVIDIA drivers that are not included on the recovery disk, I suspect they may be for IDE, I see C: because it's SATA and on another controller, I need to put those drivers on a floppy disk and stick it in A: during boot off of the emergency disk.

If that fixes the problem I'll try it with ATI 10.0.

Thanks.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AVEE8ER,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please perform the action described in this previous post of mine and see if the the CD drive appears in the drives tree.

If the issue persists, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Also provide the exact model and vendor of the CD drive you use. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

13. sylerner

sylerner Registered Member

I'm having the same problem (that how I found this thread) with build 4871.

Whether I boot the Full version or try BartPE, backups don't show the CD-R and DVD+RW drives on the left side tree, and attempts to manually enter their drive letter results in the E0004000A error message.

After trying a few different drives, I decided to test it on my other PC to see if it worked there (one is a laptop, the other a desktop). Same results.

Having had problems with other products either skipping open files or backing up inconsistent file sets, I'm not comfortable making my disaster recovery backup from within Windows.

Has there been any progress on getting a fix for this?

14. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

External HDDrive connected by USB has done it for me... ATI (build 4871) seems quite comfortable with USB.

15. Dean B

Dean B Registered Member

mfabien,

Can I ask which external USB HD you are using? My LaCie USB HD is not seen by TI 10, nor is my NEC DVD Drive. Very very annoying.

--Dean

16. mfabien

17. Dean B

Dean B Registered Member

I don't have a problem with XP not recognising it, my problem is the TI Full boot CD does not see the drive so therefore I cannot restore the backup.

The more I read about this the more the problem points to the poorly implemented Linux front end and its inability to see certain devices, on the account that the necessary drivers have yet to be written. I don't expect to have to run a diagnostics program, submit those results to support, then wait until a solution is found for my PCs hardware.

--Dean

18. mfabien

The restore I made was done within Windows and not the Recovery TI CD.

Did you try that? If the USB HD drive is on, it will be part of "My Computer" and as such TI will see it.

In a few minutes, I'll use the Recovery CD and see if it gives me access to the USB HD drive upon restore. Will advise.

19. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You've hit the nail on the head. This is a constant problem with the Linux based rescue CD. I personally use BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ with one of Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/. You could also use BartPE with the included Acronis BartPE plugin. With BartPE you are operating in a Windows environment.

20. como

como Registered Member

And you will probably find the backup and restore process much quicker. Using the rescue cd it takes nearly 2 hours to backup my system drive with BartsPE its only 10 minutes or so. I used Reatogo to build the BartsPE disk and found it fairly straight forward.

21. mfabien

Yesterday, the Acronis Loader (Recovery CD) took a few minutes. Today after 30 minutes and no Acronis panel, I aborted. Will try tomorrow.

22. mfabien

Dean B,

Using my Acronis Recovery CD, TI lists my USB External HDDrive as D: and my External CD-RW drive as E: and it should be the reverse. However,

setting up the Restore, the detailed part of the screen at the bottom, where the source of the *.1tb file is, shows that coming from the E: USB External HDDrive, which is correct. Therefore the association of the archive and the E: drive is correct in spite of the mistake in the tree to the left.

Chances are if I went ahead it could only use the External HDDrive (or E) to restore because the D: drive (E: in the tree) contains no archive on the CD.

Strange. But in another thread I did notice that this can happen and that TI can be out of sync with the Windows tree structure. Can anyone comment?

23. Dean B

Dean B Registered Member

mfabien,

Thx for replying.

You are lucky then that TI detects your USB device even though the restore process may not be guranteed.

I will persue the BartPE route. Thankyou to those who made that suggestion.

It's just a shame that a piece of software that appears to work very well under Windows, should fail so spectactularly in the very environment that should be a rock solid integral part of the softwares function. After all, what good is backup/restore software if it's rendered useless outside of a bootable Windows system?

--Dean

24. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello mfabien,

The difference in drive letters seen between running TI under Windows and via the Acronis Rescue CD is normal. When you boot from the recue CD into the "Full" recovery mode you enter a Linux environment. Windows and Linux use completely different algorithms for assigning drive letters.

To reduce confusion, give your hard drives (both internal and external) meaningful names e.g. SYSTEM_NTFS, DATA_NTFS, BACKUP_USB, etc) and then ignore the drive letters.

Regards

25. mfabien

Menorcaman,

How to I do that:

...and my thought would be to change the USB external HD to "BACKUP_USB" and leave the C drive as it is. The confusion in recovery is with the External CD-RW which is the D and the E drive in Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.