Can't create backup location

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nicki4Lu, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicki4Lu

Nicki4Lu Registered Member

Hi,

Each time I tried setting up a backup location in TI 10 (build 4942) TI frozen when I have chosen the location. Can anyone help me out with this issue?

Tank you very much,
    Nicole

//Edit: I already tried following possible solution but it didn't help as there aren't any values for the key:
    - Run "regedit" command from Start -> Run and search for the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\PlaceBrowser\FavoritePlaces
    - Delete all existing values under FavoritePlaces

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. its_me

its_me Registered Member

Hi,

I have the same problem. It worked once but I cannot create any additional backup location. After selecting the backup location and a click on next button the window content disappears (only the header line "Backup rules" is shown) and the buttons ("Back", "Next" and "Cancel") are greyed out. After a few seconds one after the other button become active, but a click doesn´t show any response.

I removed the previous created backup location but the problem still reside.

I use TI 10 (build 4942) on Vista.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Click on the Useful Forum Threads link below and click on the thread
    Backup Locations Don't Work

Be sure and download the text file referenced by Catfan432 in post #13

4. its_me

its_me Registered Member

Thanks for the hint, but this thread and the mentioned text file doesn´t fit to the problem.

The problem is that TI freezes during the backup location creation process. After the folder selection TI empties the wizard window and doesn´t go on. TI doesn´t respont to any click or keystroke. I have to kill TI via taskmanager to close it.

5. Nicki4Lu

I sent my system info file to the support and hope you can help me. I tried again to create a backup location to create a log file but as TI was freeze there wasn't any log entry about this issue.

Btw: Is there any chance to find my registration number as I'm abroad and would like to register my copy of TI.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nicki4Lu and its_me,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please try to use another account to create backup location? Let us know the results.

If you have not done that already, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Nicki4Lu, please note that if you purchase Acronis True Image via our on-line store the serial number should be sent to you via e-mail along with the link to download the product.

If you purchased a boxed (retail) version of Acronis True Image, the serial number can be found on the backside (or inside) of the Startup Guide, which comes with the software.

If you can not find your serial number, please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address and information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, where did you purchase our product, etc.).

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. its_me

its_me Registered Member

I´ve created a new account and tried it again. It doesn´t fix the problem.

I opened support request and added the requested files.

8. vdohe

vdohe Registered Member

And did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I ask because I have the exact same problem, same symptoms, also with TI Home 10 under Vista Home. I have never been able to create a backup location, not even once. The above-mentioned registry key does not exist at all.

Acronis tech support in Germany was not able to help me, but that was some time ago. I keep hoping that a solution will be found.

9. Nicki4Lu

I didn't find a solution but hoping when formatting my computer all is working again.

Nicki4lu

10. tapotio

tapotio Registered Member

Hi,

i've been reporting this bug in May 2007.
    Acknowledged by acronis support in June 2007.
    Mailed to me it would be fixed in new release.
    Still not...
    read my post about disgusting acronis way of fixing bug by releasing a new buggy version of acronis (11 at the moment) BEFORE FIXING CURRENT RELEASE.

Cheers

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Have you tried creating a Backup Location on a diff hard disk jsut to see if it's an issue with a particular drive or controller?

12. vdohe

vdohe Registered Member

Yes, I've tried other partitions and an external hard disk -- Acronis 10 Home still crashes during creation of a backup location.

But I found a SOLUTION (sort of):

The reason for creating a backup location is to do automatic backups as a scheduled task. Yesterday I discovered that I COULD schedule backups with Acronis. It works! Hence I assume that, despite the crashes, a "backup location" was indeed created. (Maybe o_O)

Whatever the reason, I am now happy :) . I went on to create a second backup location (the usual program freeze-up, kill Acronis with Task Manager, reboot, open Acronis, set up a scheduled task to back up to that location).

Try and see if it works for you... It does for me (under Windows Vista Home Premium).

13. shieber

If a Backup Location was created, you can find it with windows explorer and you should see a file in it with a name the ends with ".cfg"

You don't have to have a Backup Location to be able to schedule or run backups in ATI; they're jsut necessary for automated management of backups (deletion of old backups, etc.).

14. vdohe

vdohe Registered Member

That's good news, because scheduled backups are a real convenience. Thank you for clarifying that.

15. shieber

If you jsut want to be able schedule backups, then it sounds like you're in okay shape. Still, if you cannot create a Backup Location, and want to do automated backup management (including deletion of old files to make room for newer ones), then maybe you should contact Tech Support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.