Can't connect to the internet with latest version of smart security installed

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by brickell, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brickell

brickell Registered Member

Yesterday I downloaded the trial version of smart security from the eset website, got everything installed and thought it was working fine. Then I realized that I couldnt connect to the internet. Actual connection was fine just couldnt get any webpages to load and email kept timing out. I tried disabling all the features but it didnt help. So this morning I uninstalled the program and am now able to connect without any problems. This is my first time using the program.

Can someone please tell me what Im doing wrong?

Thanks

2. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

You probably did nothing wrong. Look at this forum and you will see that there are a lot of people with the same problem, and waiting for ESET to maybe do something about it.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. maxbfg

maxbfg Registered Member

The link doesn't helped me and I spent few hours to find out what was wrong:D

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.zip
    http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlwinsockxpfix.html

To fix this you need to use one of these free tools: WinsockxpFix , LSPFix - i used both of them (they basically do the same thing). The problem can be caused for example by HideIP software, which put some extra dlls into chain of files that control your connections.

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Or you could try this:

1. Go the the Command Prompt: Start>Accessories>Command Prompt.

2. Type in:ipconfig /release.

3. Disable your Ethernet NIC, WiFi, USB or whatever device you are using for your network/internet. You can either use the Device Manager or Control Panel>Network Connections.

4. Shutdown your system and pull the plug on your computer, router, network monitor (whatever device you have) and let everything drain for (oh about...) 2~3 minutes, the longer the better. Go grab a smoke, a beer, a sandwich, some peanut butter, smack your wife on the tush, whatever.

5. Plug everything back in beginning with any of your external networking hardware.

6. Start up your computer, log on, etc...

7. Re-enable all your devices in XP the same way you disabled them.

8. Go to the Command Prompt again. Type in:ipconfig /renew

Every electronic device, whether it's your PC, Modem, Router, Wallet Calculator, Cell Phone, Toaster Oven, etc..., has RAM.

Although we're only concerned with PC's and Networking here, same rule applies.

My point?

Whenever we make significant changes to our OS's (and installing ESS is a very big change) all of the devices, our PC, Modem, Router, WiFi, NIC, whatever else might make up a complete system, etc..., MAY have data remaining within it's RAM. Some of this old data more than likely is fragmented. Plus, being old data, even obsolete data, might be causing conflicts with the new data. Basically, the powercycling described above is helpful to clear all the devices respective RAM's. Definitely not a cure-all, but, it's worth a shot :thumb:

6. cssoz

cssoz Registered Member

same problem, .417

done that but the problem occurs everyting once a day

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Firewall- Interactive or Automatic. I bet Automatic.

Reinstall and put it in Interactive so you can make sure that things wanting to connect, connect. Make sure you open any programs you have to start that connection. I bet if you do, problem is solved. You dont need all this C: CRAP. Just start over, start simple and it will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.