Can't connect to new wireless router

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Max Power, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Power

Max Power Registered Member

I've just replaced my wireless router with a Draytek Vigor 2800.

I have 4 machines connecting to the Internet via wireless connection. One of these machines will not connect to the router. The machine is running Vista 32bit and Smart Security. The machine tries to connect and reports 'Identifying' on the connection icon, this appears for a short while before it disconnects then the cycle repeats.

On another machine with the same OS and security configuration when I first connected with the new router a box appeared with a message asking something about home or public networks (I can't remember the exact message) I think I clicked on home networks. This machine always connects first time.

The problem machine never displayed this message.

I have disabled the Firewall, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware but the machine will not connect.

The machine is set to receive its IP address from the router and is on the same workgroup.

How can I shut down Smart Security completely to check if I can then connect?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK, I can give you some good'ish news, because I use a Draytek Vigor 2820Vn, the bad news for you being I haven't had a problem in having the router connect.

First, what IP address is your computer showing and how long is your lease?

I did at one time have a problem of Draytek leasing for 1 minute at a time instead of the 3 days I normally set it at - this would definitely stop access out. I take it you can get into the routers admin page?

1. To shut down ESS, you will need to boot into Windows safe mode open up services and disable the service, then reboot.

I'm unsure if this will also disable the miniport drivers.

If you need help getting into Services - just shout.

To see the miniport drivers if they are not disabled by the above action, hold the Windows button + Pause/Break and System Properties will pop up, click on the Hardware tab and then on Device Manager then choose View and click on Show Hidden Devices, then extend the Network Adapters tree from the panel below the menu bar and you'll see all the firewall drivers, right click on each Eset entry and choose disable - if you are doing this in safe mode then you should be able to do them all, if in normal mode you may find some will refuse. Of course uninstalling ESS is one way to be certain ESS not running.

I just realised you did say you are running Vista, the above is correct except you will get a different panel come up before you can click on Device Manager.

Colin

3. Max Power

Max Power Registered Member

Hi

If the lease is to short why are the other machines able to connect?

I cant find lease configuration in the routers GUI.

I can connect using a cable.

When I click on Vista's wireless connection icon the following text is displayed: 'Acquiring IP Address' followed by 'Connected with limited access'

In the routers wireless station status list the problem machine can be seen with an 'F' suffix 'F: Fail to pass 802.1X or WPA/PSK authentication.'

The wireless card is a Linksys WMP54GS v1.1 PCI. Device manager says the drivers date from 2006 but I cant find any newer ones from Linksys

Do you think this is an authentication problem. I will turn off wireless security to see if the machine can connect.

*****UPDATE*****

I have figured it out. The wireless adaptor does not like WPA2 authentication. I have changed the settings to WPA and connection is established immediately.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hello, WEP and WPA are officially hackable, the only one that has not been officially hacked is WPA2. Nearly every adapter supports it and the ones that don't have offered an update to make them work. Make sure you look for an update for your adapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.