can't connect to net using Beta version: 2.06b2

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by BrainWarp, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

" - In windows 'Device Manager' (Start \ Run and enter-in; devmgmt.msc and click 'OK' button) select 'View \ Show hidden devices', expand 'Network Adapters' section and list here everything that shows '* - Look 'n' stop driver', and anything that is showing not properly installed."

After re-booting into Windows Vista and your Network icon in the system-tray area is X'ed out, doing what's mentioned in the above quote, you see absolutely no malfunctioning items under the expanded 'Network Adapters' section, and at this time you see absolutely no malfunctioning items any where-else in Device Manager list?

So after re-booting and the problem re-appears and not trying to force connection, your Network after 5 minutes ... finally does show connecting / connection? While the Network icon is X'ed out, IPCONFIG /ALL doesn't indicate active connection? And launching your web browser to an webpage, browser fails to connect right?

Disabling Look 'n' Stop automatic starting method, re-booting the computer, do you still experience very slow 5min connecting?

2. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

In view hidden devices, Nvidia, Wan IP, Wan IPv6 all show LnS functioning properly with the red x showing. Everything looks fine.
    This is the first time I noticed LnS connecting after 5 min.
    I did not do the IPCONFIG /ALL and even after a couple of reboots to get the red x, it has been working fine. The boot-up was also fast. I may not get a chance any more this evening but will post back with my findings.
    I do not have a messenger program but will install one on the weekend.

edit - when the red x is there, Nvidia does not show in IPCONFIG /ALL. After enable/disable it appears.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  3. Phant0m

Hi BuzzStone,

I'm sorry to ask again, but do you experience this problem when Look 'n' Stop application isn't set to automatically launch on Windows start?

Thanks in Advanced,
    Regards,
    Phant0m``

4. BuzzStone

I should read more closely, lol. With LnS set to none for start-up, the red x appeared after reboot and there was no Nvidia in IPCONFIG. After disable/enable Nvidia appears.

5. Phant0m

Thanks BuzzStone,

In an earlier post you mentioned that Look 'n' Stop uses 80MB of ram at times, is this still the case and does it only happen when you experiencing this problem with the Network icon X'ed out on Windows start? And about how much time after Looknstop GUI loads after Windows start that it reaches 80MB of ram? Also in Look 'n' Stop application main window and in it's 'Log' screen do you see packet loggings when you do experience this problem?

Thanks in advanced,
    Regards,
    Phant0m``

6. BuzzStone

I have not been concerned with memory usage at this time, but as I type this message Task Manager says 3400kb and Process Explorer says 12,500kb for looknstop.exe. I will check memory usage more often and keep you updated. When the red x is present LnS is not functioning and all zeros are in the welcome menu. Although I may not be fully able to understand the logging, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Please remember that when the red x is present, LnS is not functioning period. Now that I can get LnS working with disable/enable, I will keep it installed to see if something can be worked out, as before I would uninstall it.

7. Phant0m

Hi BuzzStone,

Is there any loggings on the Look 'n' Stop 'Log' screen before the Network icon that's X'ed out changes to connection state? If there is can you send me the logfile or an screenshot of the 'Log' screen?

8. Phant0m

Forget my last post, it is irrelevant anyways, since you experiencing the problem even when the Look 'n' Stop isn't set to be launched on startup... I think Frederic might be-able to handle it from here, I'll post if anything else comes to mind...

9. BuzzStone

There is absolutely nothing showing anywhere in LnS. It does not function at all with the red x.

10. Phant0m

If you untick your Network interface on Looknstop 'Options' screen, and apply and re-boot, does anything change?

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

My understanding is the problem is there even when Look 'n' Stop application is not started.
    Anyway there should be no red x in the device list, so it seems there is conflict between the drivers, or maybe the binding is not correct.

The strange thing is sometimes it works, sometimes not. Normally this kind of problem should be systematic.

Frederic

12. Phant0m

Hi Frederic,

I guess BuzzStone situation is the large delay (after Look 'n' Stop install) between Vista startup and the time the systray Network icon shows connected, in the meantime this systray icon is X'ed out.

13. BuzzStone

Phantom, that is the first time that I noticed LnS start after the red x. For instance, between posts this morning, which was greater than 5 min., it did not come on at all.
    Frederic, the problem only occurs after the installation of LnS. If I exit LnS, the problem still exists. When I do a diagnose and repair it says problem with Nvidia Networking Controller and Vista can't fix it. When I installed LnS the other day to see if I could make it work, that's when I stumbled upon the disable/enable workaround. Before, I would just uninstall and go back to the Vista FW. Now, perhaps we can get something sorted.

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, I thought you were talking about the red x in the device list, not in the tray icon.
    If Look 'n' Stop is not started automatically at windows startup, the problem is still there, isn't it ?

If it is, then the problem is still a conflict between drivers.
    Otherwise, Look 'n' Stop should block something that prevents the network adapter to start and connect properly. It can be a rule, or the Protocol detection if enabled.

Frederic

15. Phant0m

I think the problem is binding related, I think Vista is re-binding and doing it incorrectly...

Do you have any network applications installed like another third-party software firewall or an packet monitors, sniffers or something...?

16. BuzzStone

Frederic, yes the problem is still there.
    Phant0m, no I do not.

17. johngross

johngross Registered Member

I have been having some problems getting LnS 2.06 to run on my XP SP2 laptop.

By checking this forum, I have found (among others) this suggestion from Phant0m.

However, when I try to enter "sysdm.cpl,2" in Start \ Run, the system tells me there is no such program.

Can somebody help?

johngross

PS. I was very impressed with LnS Lite that I installed on a Win98SE desktop, so I have installed 2.06 on that system and it seems to work fine.

18. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

"Sysdm.cpl,2" gives an error, but "Sysdm.cpl ,2" seems to work.
    Then, no need for me to click a first OK. I can click directly the "Driver settings" button to see the policy regarding non-signed drivers.

Frederic

19. johngross

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for that - a bit tricky, n'est pas?

However, when I do this, I get a "System Properties" window, with a "Driver signing" button, not "Driver settings". Still it got me through to the "Ignore" setting that might help me.

Regards,
    johngross

20. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, it is. I don't know why Phant0m didn't describe the procedure with the right click on the computer icon then properties and then Hardware Tab.
    Yes, it is "Driver Signing".
    If the option was set to "Alert" normally it was Ok.
    It's only when the option is set on "Block" there is an issue (but anyway it should not create a blue screen).

Frederic

21. johngross

Thanks Frederic,

I'll continue further discussion on the other thread I started.

Regards
    johngross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.