Can't clone SCSI drive to SATA drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jnuckols, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnuckols

jnuckols Registered Member

Is True Image Home 9.0 able to clone a SCSI drive to a SATA drive? I downloaded the latest build, but it still doesn't work. It gets to the place where it says that a reboot is necessary and that if I don't reboot, the operation will be cancelled. I okay the reboot and it says operation cancelled anyway, but it still reboots. Some messages scroll up after reboot about check partitions, etc. and then a message prompting me to press a key to turn the computer off. My clue here that the clone was not successful is that all that takes only 3 or 4 minutes. The computer turns off. I turn it back on. As its booting up a few messages scroll past as if True Image is finalizing the clone process, but when I look at the drive that should contain the cloned image there's nothing on the drive. Please help.

2. jnuckols

Okay, I figured out my problem. I guess TI can't clone the active partition. Kind of makes sense. I made a TI bootable CD, booted with it, and did the clone from there. Almost finished, now I have the same problem as described by someone else in another thread where the cloned disk only boots to the WIndows splash screen and doesn't get any farther. I'll look at that other thread to try to find an answer there. Thanks.

3. jnuckols

I've solved my problem with the cloned drive only booting to the Windows splash screen. Post #4 in thread "Why Won't Cloned Drive Bootup?" suggests fdisk /mbr with a Windows98 boot floppy. That solved my problem. One note is that my hard disk is partitioned with NTFS and the Windows98 boot floppy didn't recognize the partition. fdisk /mbr worked anyway. Cheers.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jnuckols,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home can perform clone procedure (even the active partition) when running from Windows. Clone Disk tool of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home transfers the entire contents of one disk drive (including all the partitions, the installed operating systems, data, disk labels, settings, software and everything else) to another hard drive.

As to the issue you have experienced I would recommend that you download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

Also please have a look at this thread it should answer your question. We also recommend that you use Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) to prepare Windows before cloning in such cases.

Please also note that in order to fix MBR on your hard drive you can use special utilitie that you can find in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.