Can't clean out a Hijacker

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Andurion, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andurion

Andurion Registered Member

Hello,

I'm having serious trouble with a hijaker in my C:WINDOWS/sytem32/nvctrl.exe . Ewido anti-malware picks it up and it is listed in the quarantine, but it never really goes away. This particular hijacker is called Hijacker.SpyAxe . It has made it so that my homepage is always an "about:blank" that directs me to safetydefender.com . I also get a blinking icon in my system tray that displays the red "no" symbol (red circle slashed through) and some strange green symbol alternatively. It occasionaly gives a dialogue box that says a virus is detected and my system is in danger. It asks me to click on the box to download anti malware software to clean the problem. Clicking the box directs me to spywarequake.com/?aff=247 . None of these programs on these sites are free to use the cleaning services. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this thing for good? I've used Ewido anti-malware, RegistryFix, Adaware, and Spybot and non have done the job. I'm using Windows XP Professional, Internet Explorer, AVG Anti-virus, and windows firewall. HELP PLEASE!

Eric Pomeroy
    "Andurion"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Andurion

I tried to go to those forums but I got error messages by the hijacker that said the site is blocked by adware and gave me one of the bogus sites to download something to remove it, (which I didn't do). So I can't get to those forums. Is there something else I can try?

Eric

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

If he can't reach that forum site, he could have a friend download SmitRem on another computer and email it to him. I have done that and it works! Of course they'll need to copy and email the instructions also.

6. Andurion

It worked!
    That second page you gave me worked fine! I am free and unhijacked! Thanks so much :D

Eric

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks for letting us know Eric.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.