Can't Boot From Rescue CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The Sand, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I tried searching this problem - but get the familiar - "Sorry no matches, Sorry no matches, Sorry no matches" repeatedly - no matter HOW many ways I put it. I don't know why whenever I search this forum I get nowhere... so please bear with me if you know the answer to this but I can't find it...

Anyway... we have 2 new Dells in the house. MY Dell Notebook XPS1530 was able to boot the rescue CD and run acronis (as well as see my external drive) but the Dell Inspiron 1525 can't. I changed the boot order and it loads that blue screen where you select Acronis true Image Full Version... then it says, "Loading Acronis True Image please wait." Then... nothing. You know I have the last build of TI 10 - I could try putting that one on the Inspiron (I bought yet another 11 for the Inspiron though... I own one 10 and 2 elevens.) But then would I have to do that Vista Repair that a lot of people ran into with 10? Not sure what to do here... What is fixable and what is not...

Just trying to make a good decision...

Thanks,
    Sandy

2. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

When you booted the Rescue CD did you wait long enough? It can be slow to fully load!!!

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Am I correct in stating your problem is with the V10 rescue CD?

and you never installed vers 11 so you do not have a vers 11 Rescue CD to try?

4. The Sand

Thanks for the replies here!

Aussie42... yes, I waited about 20 minutes and then hit control, alt, delete (I really didn't know what to do to get out of there.) That caused it to restart. Do you think I should have waited longer (based on my experience with the other computers in the house through - it has never taken that long.)

Grover H - I paid and downloaded version 11 build 8053 for that computer (my mothers new Inspiron.) I made a rescue CD directly from that computer to boot from.

I have a Dell XPS1530 with another paid for version of 11 build 8053 on it - and yet another paid version of Acronis 10 (last build) running on my HP. Just to check I put in my rescue cd (version 11) into my mothers to see if it would load that - it didn't.

I guess what I should have said initially - is that is does boot the cd - it just won't load the program.

I was thinking I might try Acronis 10 on that computer - uninstall the 11 and try 10. I don't really want to do that though... since I paid for 11 to run on that computer.

I hope I didn't confuse matters here...

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

Sandy

5. GroverH

From the Acrons "Please read before posting"

6. The Sand

Okay... so now I feel stupid. I guess I have been using 10 and 11 so long, without ANY problems I didn't think to look there...

I will give it a try...

What does, "Please submit a request for technical support describing the issue if you want to automate the process of adding these special parameters" mean. Does that mean, ask them and they will tell you how to make loading Acronis work without hitting f11 and typing in that command?

Thanks for the help here Grover H!

Sandy (Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work!)

7. The Sand

Didn't work... :'(

8. GroverH

Sorry that it didn't work. Didn't mean to make you feel stupid. If I were smarter, I would be providing the solution--which I don't know.:(

9. The Sand

Don't even SAY such things GroverH... you are the Best! You are always so helpful!!!

I guess I'll write Acronis and see what they say...

This is the first problem I have run across using Acronis (10, 11 - and the Disk Director Suite.) I have never needed to boot from the CD - I have always been able to use the program from Windows. But ya know, if I don't take care of this - it will be the first computer in the house to have a problem and need to run from the CD.

Thanks again Grover, for always taking the time to reply and help!

Sandy

10. GroverH

Is the Dell xps1530 wireless or does it have a usb mouse or keyboard?

11. The Sand

The Dell xps1530 is mine and it's working. I can load the program. The Dell Inspiron is the one that is not working. They are both notebooks - so they are both wireless... I am just using the "touchpad" - no mouse. When I get into the bios I use those arrow keys.

I am in the process of reinstalling Acronis on the Dell Inspiron now... hoping maybe that will do something. I haven't contacted Acronis support about it yet. I wanted to try installing it again first.

Thanks for responding!

Sandy

12. GroverH

I worded the question wrong. Question should be
    Is the keyboard and mouse either USB or wireless or connected by wire?

13. The Sand

No, I'm sure you worded it fine - I'm just not a techie here so it is most certainly me. There's nothing sticking out of any USB port so I'm guessing that's out... there is no "wire" I can "see" like I can with the desktop keyboard and mouse. It is a laptop keyboard and touchpad - if there are "wires" they are "inside" were I can't see them.

Hope that helps.... I'm not in your "league" GroverH!

I did contact Acronis support - because installing it again did nothing:( .

Sandy

14. GroverH

Thank you. You have a laptop with no mouse accessory and no extra keyboard. Understood. Many find using a mouse accessory much easier than the touchpad but it is a matter of personal preferences. When this is done, sometimes the mouse is connected via a usb connection and other times from a PS2 round connector--but you have neither so thanks.

I think it is wise to seek the help of Acronis. No one else has come forward with any suggestions. Let us know the results for the benefit of others with maybe the same problem. Good luck.

15. The Sand

Thanks for our input here... I always learn something when you post.

I will post what I find out from Acronis. I hope it is something fixable. I tried for a week to get my other laptop to run Norton 360 with UAC enabled to no avail (Norton will only run without UAC on.) I ran a mandatory security update for AIM 6.5 on that computer and ran into a heck of a mess (which Acronis got me out of! Yea for Acronis!) others were not so lucky. I found out you should always have UAC enabled when installing updates of any kind. Anyway, I paid both Microsoft and Symantec to help me with that... and both pointed the finger at eachother and I got nowhere. I hope that doesn't happen here...

Thanks again GroverH for you input :)

Sandy

16. GroverH

Regarding UAC, I do not have vista but you might want to read this article.
    No response necessary. You're welcome.:)
    http://vistaclues.com/?p=23

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

The Sand, could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

18. The Sand

Hi Michael! My request number is 1356528. So far they have had me download and burn a specific ISO file to cd and try booting from that. It did boot but it still didn't load the program... acutally, the original rescue CD got further than the ISO burned CD did. Now they want to me to do the following...

1. Please download Acronis Report utility available at http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us. Please compress the Acronis Report output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip or WinRAR) and attach to your message by browsing for the archive.
    This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

2. Could you please do the following?

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Select System Information;
    - In File (or Action) menu choose Save...
    - Select Save as type: "Version 5.0/6.0 System Information File(*.NFO)";
    - Send us the file created.

I have done the Acronis Report Utility- and it looks okay... but I am somewhat apprehensive about the "system information" created file. If I share that - is there anything in there that could be a security risk for me?? Anybody have any thoughts on this... all opinions welcome. I do want help here - but I dont' want to compromise myself while doing it... and I don't know enough to make sure I am not.

All advice welcome here...

Sandy

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  19. The Sand

I went ahead and sent it.... hopefully it will be okay.

Sandy

20. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

The Sand, this System Information file would provide us with the information that would allow us to investigate the issue and provide you with the solution. It contains some information about your hardware, drivers and software components. Please note that Acronis respects your privacy and all information provided by you will not be shared with any third party entity and it will be used only for resolving the issue you've encountered.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

21. The Sand

Thanks Michael for your input here...

In a recent email from Acronis they told me to do the following...

In order to resolve your situation, please perform the following 2 steps, provided below:

1. Boot from Windows Vista installation disc, select language and keyboard or input method, click Next and choose to Repair your computer. Then you will need to select the operating system that you want to repair. In the System Recovery Options dialog box click Command Prompt and type the following:
    Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

If you want to completely rebuild Windows Vista Boot Configuration Data, then you should issue the following command:

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

This command scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option also allows select the installations that you want to add to the Boot Configuration Data store.

2. After you're able to boot into the Windows Vista environment, please do the following to check the HDD for errors:

Please check the disks for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

So, I am totally freaking out. I have no idea what I am doing here. I looked and I have a "Dell reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit" Is that the same thing.

Also, should I "completely rebuild Windows Vista Boot Configuration Data" which is suggested??

What would you do if it was your computer? I don't know enough about what is "wrong" here to make a good decision about fixing it.

Please help here... all advice welcome.

Sandy

22. GroverH

Sandy,
    Some of the other more knowledgeable members will answer your specifics.

One thing for sure I would do would be to check the disk for errors as indicated; or check for error via
    My Computer
    Right click on Drive C
    Click on Properties
    Click the Tools tab
    Click on eror checking.

23. The Sand

Hi GroverH!

I will check for errors like you suggested. Sounds easy enough. Today I tried to use the Dell reinstallation DVD to do what Acronis support suggested and it did not work - I guess it's different than the disc that comes from Microsoft. As of now... I am reading Mustangs maual on how to do a BartPE to see if that would be a possibility for me.

Thanks for you reply here...

Sandy

24. Chris 6471

Chris 6471 Registered Member

Hi Sandy,

I have been having a similar problem to you in as much as I could get the boot disc to run in my XP desktop but not my Vista HTPC machine. I found it was caused by the internal USB devices (WiFI, VFD and memory) causing the software to hang for some reason. Initially I managed to get it to work by disconnecting all the internal USB devices, but this isn't really practical in a laptop!

I then created a boot disc with no usb drivers and this works fine.

To do this you need to create a new boot disc and when you get to the Bootable options page, click on Bootable media setup parameters this will bring up a box called Command-line parameters in this box type nousb then continue to burn the boot disc.

This worked okay for me, and hopefully will for you also.

Cheers,

Chris

25. The Sand

Hi Chris, I will give it a try... thanks for taking the time to post it here - hopefully it will help me and others with the same problem. The sad part is I paid Acronis for "priority support" and it was ridiculous. The guy on the phone was not nice - and sent me some ISO to burn that I had already burned. The Email support was fine - but the paid support was not. In the end I got more help here on the forum.

Thanks,
    Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.