can't backup --VSS: can't read volume data

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jkn7, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkn7

jkn7 Registered Member

Paragon Backup and Recovery 11 Home, windows XP SP3

type of operation [virtual] succeeded
    type of operation committed, Result: VSS: Can't read volume data
    Error: 73750 (0x12016)

Volume shadow copy service is started

Disks are USB 3.0 external drives, tried 2, both are good, checked both with Seagate Seatools for windows, no problems in short tests. Both hard drives are seen in windows disk manager, NTFS file system, no problems in fdisk, Windows Backup can write to the disks. Disks seem good. I couldn't get acronis to install so I was hoping this would be my new backup program. <sigh>

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Try set Paragon Hot Processing instead of MS VSS

3. jkn7

jkn7 Registered Member

thanks for the reply
    I disabled hot processing in the settings menu and still get an error when attempting to backup a file. "No files or folders have been found. There is nothing to back up. Probably , the files or folders you have specified were moved, or filtered out" --> not the case, no filters in place and the file didn't move.
    In the progress box the error states "An error has occurred while enumerating working set...Reason: "An unexpteced situation has occurred".

under enable hot processing, the only "hot processing technology" available is the shadow copy service.

I got Norton Ghost 15 working. Methinks something is wrong with the Paragon software.

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

When you receive that VSS can't read volume data it means there are bad sectors on the either the source or the destination drives, usually it is the source. There is nothing wrong with the software it just simply doesn't want to image back bad data or a corrupted OS which bad sectors can cause.

5. jkn7

jkn7 Registered Member

The source drive is a mirrored set of drives (raid 1) -- does that make a difference? If there was a bad sector, wouldn't it only be on one of the drives in the mirror?

If their was a bad sector do you have a recommended utility to correct the problem or scan for disk errors?

6. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

I would recommend checking with the disk manufacturer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.