Can't access wilders

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Tarnak, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I don't think it is a firewall problem, because I can surf the web. I got here with http://fetch4.me/ Ping to Wilders is unsuccessful.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm afraid the best I can advise is for those who are having access problems to contact their ISP customer support to work through the issue until they find where the blockage is located.

While you might think we'd have some special access in getting this resolved, given there are a few/several people with the "same" problem, the truth that is there is nothing we can do. If the problem is not global (i.e. everyone from some country or ISP) or if it is not right here at our own hosting company or the next hop up, we have no ability to get people to look into it. I can't call the users' ISPs and get access to anyone since I am not a customer of those ISPs. And besides that, some of the people with access problems got back in again simply by changing IP addresses (resetting their ISP connections).

Aside from the person who started the other thread, all those with this problem are from Australia. (The_ChamP is from India.) However, many other Australia based people are accessing here fine, even from the same ISP. Resetting his Internet connect allowed JimboW to get access again right from his ISP. The_ChamP also had access reenabled when he changed IP address, though, he hasn't posted again since the 2nd either.

If these people are in the same physical locations, yet a change of IP address reenables access, then how do we possibly report the problem and get someone to take it seriously? From our end, we can't. But, for someone who currently does not have access using their ISP, they might be able to get to a high enough level of customer support at their ISP to get the problem found.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Several years ago I found that I was unable to connect to CastleCops.
    It was the same kind of deal, wherein I had to communicate my problem to a Level II support tech from my ISP, who did acknowledge that there appeared to be "some sort of routing issue". It took me months of troubleshooting with the ISP guy, and lots of involvement with folks I know who had the same ISP and couldn't connect to CC (I remember lots of traceroute results being forwarded to the ISP), and the issue was eventually resolved... after more than two months. Then CC closed its doors, for whatever reason. But I did learn that it wasn't anything that Paul L. from CC was or wasn't doing.

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thank you guys! ...for your response.

I am still unable to access Wilders. Just have to wait until the problem resolves.

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Something Wrong

I have read on the web that there are several issues with accessing Wilders via conventional methods, i.e Internet Explorer or Firefox etc.. This applies to me also, the only way i have been able to acces the site is by a proxy http://fetch4.me/ which NICK ADSL UK posted on the Windows 7 forums, (Thanks Nick) I have no idea why or what is happening, but obviously the site is up and running (or I wouldn't be posting this) I live in Australia, and it seems many of us are having this issue. Until a fix is implimented or whatever, I'll bookmark the proxy.

8. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Re: Something Wrong

I face same problem(in Thailand), my ISP allows access to Wilders only from their proxyserver, which means in IE/Chrome/Opera one must set this proxyserver whch becomes default for all websites, under Windows. Unsure about Firefox.

Is there any browser/extension (under Windows) that allows to use a proxyserver only for one or more specific websites , while permitting direct access to all other sites?

By the way , using fetch4me shows only the first Wilders page , thereafter click any link goes to wrong page in next browser window/tab , so fetch4me is useless for me(same happens with other web proxies).

SKA

9. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Re: Something Wrong

I rechecked that many users of most ISPs are all unable to access WSF from Thailand. So I think its a global issue as LWM says above.

If anyone from Thailand can access WSF maybe LWM can please check what ISP they come from ?

My OS:Vista 32-bit SP2, NOD32 4.2 latest, MBAM Pro with web blocking + protection fully disabled - how to reset one's IP like LWM says JimboW did ?

Ska

How I can post here: Using proxyserver of my ISP setup in Opera 11.10 (with HTTP 1.1 unchecked), remember me enabled.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Now this is quite bizaar, I got into wilders via the fetch me proxy server, and logged in successfully, successfully that is until I started to navigate the site to different topics, this is when the most bizaar thing occured, the whole wilders site translated into French! or at least I think it was French, might have even been Danish... what on Earth is happening?

11. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I again cant acces wilders..m here from fetch site...and i didnt know what had happened the last time i could connect to this site..i hadnt changed any ip or nething..i had just conencted normally and it had connected...
    and its the same thng..my frnd frm same isp can connect but i cant :mad:

12. stackz

stackz Registered Member

The strange thing for me is that no computers on my LAN can connect directly with any browser. My iPad can't connect with Safari, but connects seamlessly using Opera Mini.
    So far, no luck with the macro responders at my ISP. I'm hoping to at-least reach someone with some technical nous...but shall not hold my breath waiting.

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I also am unable to to reach wilders anymore from my provider (be there) in the U.K ,unless I use a proxy.Has something changed in the last few days at wilders end?.I find it hard to believe that many different networks are having trouble reaching wilders ,from around the globe ,all of a sudden is coincidence.I have contacted my isp and am awaiting a response from that end.
    ellison

14. LowWaterMark

Obviously, it's a route issue somewhere out in the Internet cloud. It's far enough "out" that it only effects a small portion of our users. And, it is not absolute since several people who had been unable to access, changed their local IP address, and got access back. But, several of those later lost access again on their new IP address.

So, it's likely to be a redundant route between two backbone provider networks. Only "some" of the traffic goes over that route, which is why two people from the same ISP can have different accessing ability, and a single person can go from having to not having access, or the reverse, as time passes.

Unfortunately, as said before, there is still nothing we can do from here. And, no, we did not make some kind of local settings change that blocks some people from various countries/ISPs, but, not everyone else from the same network location. I wouldn't even guess at how you could do that at the local end, here at the server side. Which is why I believe it is out at a backbone provider.

The only way this will be resolved is if the people who can not access back trace where the access is being blocked and work with their ISP to report it to the provider involved. Usually this is done by traceroutes... some done from local people with access and some by people near them without access. The difference in the traceroute then points out where the problem hop is located.

FYI - Our web stats show maybe a 2-3% decrease in activity in the last month, but, overall it looks normal. If huge portions of people couldn't access, we'd have a large decrease in traffic. We're not seeing that here. Because of this and all the inconsistency regarding people who can and can't access, our hosting company can not persue the issue.

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i can't login to wilders when proxomitron is monkeying around with the referrer. i get this message "In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist."

it's probably not related, but you could try changing your browser's regional location, or something else in the referrer. i just wanted to post that in case it helps :cool:

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That's the way we figured out the CastleCops connection problem! :)

18. ellison64

Hmm...
    My ip is dynamic ,and usually on the 94. range.The link you gave mentions a possible firewall effect between 66.227.69.99 and wilders,and that is exactly what im getting.100% packet loss between those nodes.Not sure what i can do really .

19. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

That is where I had the blockage, when I did a tracert on June 8.

Attached Files:

20. BeanCounter

BeanCounter Registered Member

For iiNet (Australia) customers it is only some IP address ranges that have the problem. While fault reports have been lodged with iiNet there is a commonly held view that this problem can only be fixed by the website owners

21. LowWaterMark

Yes, I've just read the whirlpool thread referenced above, and I see that the ISP representatives are saying it is something I must be blocking... Well, I don't block IP addresses or ranges. I don't build network routes, and I have no idea what BOGON filters are either. I have sent the whirlpool thread reference to my hosting company as it is the first reference we've been given that contains some good technical information, beyond people simply stating they don't have access and what country they are from. Hopefully, there is some useful data in that thread that will help narrow down the issue.

22. ellison64

Hmmm...
    Seems like I can now connect again ,on the 94. ip address which couldnt connect earlier.Seems like something has been fixed?Everyone else able to connect now?
    ellison

23. LowWaterMark

I'm wondering if yours was even the same problem as the others. First, you are the first and only person from the UK to report a problem. (Everyone else is from the other side of the world, with connections that appear to cross the Pacific to get to Wilders Security - Australia, India, Thailand.) Second, everyone else's problems started between maybe 3 to 4 weeks ago. But, you were posting from your "94." address as recently as June 13 and again today. While the access issue itself certainly sounds similar, these differences seem outside the pattern of all the others.

24. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

25. ellison64

What seems to be a common factor in a lot of the cases is the 100% packet loss between 66.227.69.99 and wilders.I performed a tracert earlier which showed ok up to that node.It has been around 2 days where i couldn't access wilders.Why its suddenly now working is anyones guess.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.