Cant Access My Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AndyJPA, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyJPA

AndyJPA Registered Member

I have got myself into a bit of trouble, i made a complete backup of my C: drive which contained my OS.

The hard drive the OS was on has now completly broken so i decided to install a fresh copy of XP on a new HD, when i reloaded Arcronis and used the browse image feature to restore just the My Documents folder it says it is not accessible

Why is that and what can i do to restore the My Documents folder without having to restore the whole image again as i dont now have a spare hard drive i can use temporarily.

cheers

Andy

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

It is probably not accessible because your new install has a different set of file permission security codes.

All is not lost - you need to boot into safe mode, then navigate to the folder image, right click - whereupon the XP file permissions menu will appear - add this file to your current user permission ID - accept the 'ADD ALL CHILD FOLDERS' ,reboot back into your normal log on and hey presto Bob may be your uncle or Matilda might be your aunt - but all should be working again.

Colin

3. AndyJPA

Cheers Colin, appreciate the reply mate :)

4. AndyJPA

I tried that but when i mount the image in safe mode it says "cannot assign a drive letter to the partition from the image archive"

i have tried selecting various drive letters from the drop down menu in Acronis but still the same error message comes up

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AndyJPA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Basically bodgy is right. The most common reason is that the user profile and permissions could be different from those on your original system. Please find the instructions how to overcome this at this FAQ article.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. AndyJPA

That link dosent work, all i get is

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings

7. como

como Registered Member

Ok here

8. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Try making the TI bootable Rescue CD, boot from it and see if it lets you browse the folder in your backup image.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AndyJPA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the only workaround is to restore the image archive (at least the necessary partition) and take ownership over the files and/or folders you need in your new profile and permissions. You then will be able to access, view and change necessary files and/or folders.

If this FAQ article is not accessible for you, please find the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.