Can't access Javacool's site.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by nadirah, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Anyone having problems accessing www.javacoolsoftware.com?
    I couldn't update SB and SG since yesterday night. And I can't seem to access Javacool's site either.

DNSStuff says the site is up.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

No problems accessing JC's site here.

snowbound

3. hierodule

hierodule Registered Member

This is long, but I want to be thorough since maybe my inability to open Javacool's site is because of malware....

I haven't been able to either open Javacool's site (www.javacoolsoftware.com) in IE, Opera or Firefox; nor have I been able of updating SpywareBlaster for over a month. At first I thought the site was dead, but I now find out here that the site is NOT dead... in fact, if I use a Web proxy service like the Anonimizer Proxy, I'm able to open the site.

I noticed my my PC has been acting odd lately, and the straw hat broke the camel's back was a when all of a sudden Firefox kept asking me about the secure certificate of Pub.Cozmixng.org every three minutes or so... even when I wasn't using the browser. Suddenly, I also noticed that the F-Secure icon was NOT on the system tray (I also noticed that not even Live Messenger beta 8.5 had loaded during startup as normal... and my desktop icons, which I always have in large size, were again normal sized... and I'm certain I didn't do that... I don't know if all that's connected, but it happened at the same time).

I ran and scanned my PC with F-Secure, but every time it was halfway through the full scan, my PC rebooted. So I scanned in Safe Mode and found... nothing. I downloaded a Nod32 trial to double check, but the same thing happened. Ad Aware kept crashing in halfway during deep scan. My last hope was Spybot, and after a long scan it found the Astakiller and Virtumode trojans. Apparently, S&D cleaned the trojans... but even after that I still got that secure certificate popup in Firefox... I uninstalled FF, cleaned its install directory and my profile folder, and reinstalled... and that problem appears to be solved.

But I STILL can't connect to Javacool's site, and SpywareBlaster now tells me that (apart from being unable to connect) that its database may be corrupt. I uninstalled it, downloaded it from MajorGeeks, and reinstalled it—even if I can't get it to connect. I prefer to have outdated protection than none at all.

Any suggestions? I'm pasting my HijackThis below log just in case. Edit: Sorry, didn't know they HJT logs were not allowed here, my fault :p . If my question is also inappropriate for the forum, let me know. Wasn't sure where else to post it.

E.

Removed HJT log as they are no longer allowed here at WSF.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  4. snowbound

5. hierodule

Thanks for the reply. I believe my PC is already clean, though I'm not 100% sure. I'm normally careful with those things, so finding those trojans was an unpleasant surprise.

I'll ask in the forum you suggested.

6. hierodule

After the kind help of one of the mods at Gladiator Security forum (thanks for the link, btw), I was able to verify that my PC was clean. Also my Hosts file was intact.

I still cannot conect to Javacoolsoftware.com, unless I use one of those Web anonymizers/proxies. I cannot update the database of SpywareBlaster either ("Error connecting to update server"). I mentioned at the Gladiator forum that I tried doing it from a neighbor's PC (same ISP) and couldn't connect either, nor update the program. That means that either my neighbor has the same problem as me, or my ISP is blocking the site for some mysterious reason. I checked my firewall as well, disabled it, uninstalled it and installed a new one, no change. Note that I've been able to visit the site and make updates for years... this started happening to me one or two months ago, no idea why.

Now, I can bite the bullet and resign myself to the fact of not being able to use the software again. I've already began looking for alternatives to make up for the loss (like trying SuperAntiSpyware, A-Squared free, ProSecurity Free, etc.)... But I'd appreciate if anyone can suggest me a way to tweak the update options of SpywareBlaster to be able to get around my problem. Like, maybe using a proxy? The problem with that is that I have next to no idea how to do that.
    :p

Regards,

Ed.

Edit: I managed to download the databases manually through anonymouse.org, since I can't get to the site directly. It was a slightly awkward process, pasting the URLs of each database one at a time on Anonymouse to get them, but it got the job done. Still, I'd appreciate if someone could suggest an "easier" way... yeah, lazy, I know, spoiled by "click this button" type of updates :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  7. snowbound

First thing i would advise is call your internet provider and ask just that.

Good to see the fine folks over at Gladiators gave your system a clean bill of health. :thumb:

Steve

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Could you please post the name/country of your ISP? (If you aren't comfortable with posting this information publicly, please feel free to PM me.)

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you please contact your ISP about this issue? We had a few problems from around the same time period with a few different ISPs that were resolved, as far as I'm aware, but it's very possible you're experiencing a similar issue with your ISP. (EDIT: FYI, the update server used by SpywareBlaster is "spywareblaster.net".)

One way or another, we'll track down the cause and get to the bottom of this issue. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

9. Infidel

Infidel Registered Member

Hi new on here, I also cannot get updates access javacools site for approx a week now UK isp eclipse. (kingston coms).
    Machine runs Nod 32, cc cleaner,Spybot s&d,comodo boclean,and swb. win xp.
    Hope this helps, cheers.

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Could you please contact your ISP and tell them that you cannot access spywareblaster.net (the SpywareBlaster updates server)?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

11. hierodule

My bad, I should've done that from the start. I'm in Puerto Rico (the Caribbean and all that), my ISP is DMax, which is really a fancy brand name for the DSL section of the Puerto Rico Telephone Company (PRTC).

I did contact them and got a reply on the 10th. The service rep wrote they would forward the inquiry to their IT dept. It turns out the support rep couldn't access the site either, which is kind of funny. Hmm, knowing them, any further replies from them may take quite a while...

Hmm, sidenote: I wonder if this is related with what I read in cNet about the rogue site "spywareblaster DOT com" that impersonated Javacool's product. Maybe someone at Dmax didn't know the difference and blacklisted anything related to spywareblaster out of ignorance. o_O

Of course I'm just guessing, after all that "news" is over a year old... but I wouldn't be too surprised if that were the case... after all, this is a company that kept me bouncing back and forth on the phone between several service reps for almost a whole hour, when all I wanted was to activate my sister's e-mail (since DMax won't do that right from the start, you have to call them). Ah, I digress... I'll post again once I get a reply.

Regards,

Ed.

12. hierodule

Yup... thanks for pointing me to their forum :D

13. Infidel

Infidel Registered Member

Just rang my isp they don't block any sites the guy was very helpfull put me on a static ip to see if that helped big nada so we thought maybe something to do with nod or bo clean disabled them both and still nothing so bit of a poser?
    However will keep plodding would be good to find a common source.
    Cheers Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.