Can't access internet

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zhongyi, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhongyi

zhongyi Registered Member

I installed Smart Security last night on 2 computers, one laptop, and one desktop. The laptop works fine. The desktop won't let me browse the internet. Chrome returns an error that the DNS can't resolve the host name. Looking at the zone settings on both computers shows a difference in the DNS server field. The working computer has 2 IP addresses, the non-working computer only has one IP address, my router. The Edit option is grayed out for the DNS Server. How do I change the IP address for DNS? BTW, When I turn off the firewall, everything works fine.

2. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

Put the firewall on interactive mode and allow&remember all the things that it needs to connect to your router.

All the processes will pop up and require authorization to allow internet access when your system first boots (even before you open your browser).

3. zhongyi

That doesn't help. It is allowing Chrome to access the internet. The problem is the DNS servers seem to be set wrong and I don't see a way to change them.

4. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

Your dns servers are on your router and the router passes the addresses onto your pc . You sure that your ipv4 settings are correct on your network adapter,by going into properties menu on ipv4 and making sure that (obtain ip/dns servers are set to automatic). Like the picture shown here :)

Attached Files:

5. zhongyi

So you're saying that Smart Security gets it's DNS info from the router. I'll check it tonight, but that doesn't explain why I would get DNS errors with the ESET firewall, and no errors when I disable the firewall, unless ESET is blocking access to the DNS server. I may have to read the manual and see what the different settings do.

6. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

Yip, on your home network your pc's internal ip address will be something like
    192.168.0.4 , which is why you access the routers settings via 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0.

Go into esets firewall rules and remove them all and then pick automatic and it should function properly. There must be a rule that's causing your pc from not being able to talk properly to the router.

7. zhongyi

Here is an update: I was in touch with Tech support. They said based on the symptoms, I needed to remove/reinstall the program. Installation kept failing at 64%, installing drivers. Tech support then referred me to a kb article on premature termination of the install. Did everything in the article, then followed a link to checking/cleaning a virus which prevents installation. No virus. After all that, the program installed and seems to be working properly. Time will tell.
    Thanks for your help tho.

8. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

Glad you got it working :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.