Can't access https sites?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Sarge1400, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge1400

Sarge1400 Registered Member

Can't access web sites/addresses that begin with https. If I remove the 's' and manually enter the address as 'http', I get access.

In the 'Adavnced Setup' for Nod32, under Web and email / Web access protection / HTTP, HTTPS / HTTPS scanner setup, I cannot make any changes. 'Use HTTPS protocol checking for selected ports' is enabled, and below that it calls out port 443.

I can make changes in the HTTP scanner setup section, but not the HTTPS section.

Help please. Go easy on me, I'm in uncharted territory here.

Windows 7, Firefox 19.0.2, Nod32 6.0.308.0

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you navigate to Web and email -> Protocol filtering -> SSL, do you have scanning SSL enabled? Note that SSL-aware applications must accept root certificates from the Trusted root certification authorities certificate store, otherwise they won't work or you'll have to export and import the ESET root certificate manually.

3. Sarge1400

'Do not scan SSL protocol' is selected.

4. Marcos

In that case, SSL communication is not scanned at all and ESET shouldn't intervene in the communication. Does disabling Web protection (gui) or protocol filtering (advanced setup) actually make a difference?

5. Sarge1400

Disabling either, or both, had no effect.

6. Marcos

That means you can rule out ESET as the culprit.

7. Sarge1400

I see.
    I've tried different machines, Windows versions, and browsers, all with the same results. The only commonality between them would be my ISP and my router.

Any thoughts?

8. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

If you temporarily uninstall ESET, does it resolve your issue? Other than that it could be several issues such as:

- Software firewall
    - Hardware firewall
    - Some type of hidden malware
    - Winsock issues (I've seen it before, because of strange behaviour with a VPN client. Was fixed with a netsh int ip reset)
    - ISP (but rarely they are the cause)
    - Software commonality for all computers prevent from browsing.

9. Sarge1400

One of the other machines I tried doesn't have ESET installed, so I'm guessing uninstalling it won't help. As I said in my last post, the only commonality amongst the various machines I've tried is my ISP and router.

I'm going to try plugging my satellite modem's Ethernet cable directly into my PC, bypassing the router, and see if that makes any difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.