Canonical developing an own display server

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tlu, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Geeks are never happy with the changes, I guess. :D

But I think they really have to change a lot as ubuntu touch is a radical change in Ubuntu OS. We must expect a lot of changes coming.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Canonical got tired of waiting for Wayland and decided to move ahead with creating its own display manager to replace the increasingly aged Unix Windows X display server. Like with Unity, it will provoke a lot of controversy but hopefully it will push Linux into a new era. This is definitely a positive development. :thumb:

4. tlu

tlu Guest

I have some doubts:
    1. Some claims about Wayland seem to be incorrect or, at least, questionable.

2. Canonical obviously lacks experienced programmers in this area. Quote:
    2. Linux is becoming an interesting platform for games as has become obvious in the past months. An additional display server means fragmentation, and this might constrain this positive trend as it will probably complicate, e.g., driver development.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Terrible idea.

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

lot of changes going to come

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What I dislike is too many words.
    Gallium, Mir, Wayland, etc, just makes things confusing and geeky.
    Why not just call it Y, as a continuation of X.
    Mrk

8. Because "Yorg" doesn't sound good at all.

Anyway I don't see Mir as a problem in and of itself; if it's compatible with the same hardware and the same applications, I'm happy. OTOH I'd rather not see yet more duplication of effort.

On that note, though, I am glad to see they're switching to Qt for Unity. I always thought Unity 2D was the way they should have gone in the first place... Just hope they stick with it, instead of going off in some other direction in another six months.

(Is that too much to hope for?)

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I like the fact that Canonical is pursuing its own vision for Ubuntu. Unix has been a soggy, fragmented mess for decades with layer upon layer and it neither looks nor feels like a unified OS. BEOS aimed for the latter approach, introducing simplicity, reliability and beauty in computing. I'd like to see Canonical do that for Unix and I wish them the best. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.