Cannot view workgroup computers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by seakiwi, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seakiwi

seakiwi Registered Member

This is weird.

I recently managed to (finally) get ICS working between my computer and my kids' machine. It is now working perfectly, and they can share my dial up internet connection, plus shared files and printer. No problems whatever. I have given myself share privileges on their C drive, so that I can access their drive from my machine if necessary.

BUT .. when I go to view workgroup computers (on my machine) I can only see mine, not theirs. On their machine I can see both computers - theirs and mine. I can't understand why I can't see theirs when the two machines are obviously seeing each other perfectly well in terms of sharing files, printer and internet connection.

Can someone please switch the light on for me - I must be having a 'duh' moment ...

TIA :)

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Do you shut off services that you don't use? If so, check to make sure "Computer Browser" is still on..

3. seakiwi

I checked that, but it's enabled and running.

I forgot to mention in my last post, that Workgroup Computers has always been a bit 'glitchy' for some reason. Sometimes when I click on it, to view the two computers, it takes an eternity to actually open the folder, and then only shows me my machine. Other times it simply does not open at all, and I end up with a 'not responding' error.

It wouldn't really bother me, because the networking is working fine, but I want to be able to access the kids machine from mine, and I can't do that if I cant 'see' it.

Thanks for your help.

4. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

This is a real clue right here...."it takes an eternity to actually open"... this usually happens when your system is looking for a file before it can run your computer browser and encounters difficulty because it is corrupted. This suspicion can be verified with your Event viewer utility. Check for warning or error messages and fix.

5. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Just a suggestion that works for me is if you goto start menu-->search-->computers or people-->a computer on the network-->type in your kids computer name and hit search. This works everytime for me. I am using XP home so it may not be the same if you are using a different OS.

Your problem is very common when connecting XP to 98 machines. I am not sure what OS your running but just giving some info.

Hope this helps,

Chris

6. seakiwi

OK, I checked and found this under 'system' which looks like it's the relevant error, but the Microsoft KB article was no help. It explained what it meant, but said 'no user action required' ... and offered no 'fix' either.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer XXXXX that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{E3AD539C-7A84-4EB2-. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

What now? o_O

7. seakiwi

Thanks! :)

That worked. I still don't understand why Windows can't find it the proper way, but for now that will do. Very weird.

Many thanks!

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

No problem. Glad it helped.

Thanks,

Chris

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'll add this and hope it will help. Several items to see here.

Home Networking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.