Cannot verify partition images when booted from rescue media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tomq, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomq

Tomq Registered Member

With xp running, I successfully created full backup images of my drive's C and D partitions, and ran the verify on both with no problems. The backup media is DVD+R, 8x.

However, when I booted from the Rescue CD (which I created) and attempted to verify the images, no images were listed under my DVD-RW drive (E) when I clicked on the "+" to display the available images. It was as if they were never recorded!

I rebooted my system into XP, and tried the same thing from your GUI on my desktop, and once again, I could see all the image files, and verify them.

On a hunch, I decided to "make compatible" the DVD+R media that contained the images, using my DLA software (HP) branded, but actually from Sonic). After doing this, I could now see the images from the Rescue Media GUI, and successfully verify them.

Should I have to do this? By doing a "make compatible", the media is closed to all further writes. Worse, if I forget to do it, my backups are useless in the event of a hard disk failure. Also, I can't be sure that this workaround might not cause a problem during a restore, even though the images verify without a problem.

Other details:
    True Image 8.0, build 826
    WINDOWS XP HOME, MEDIA EDITION, SERVICE PACK 2

Has anyone else run into this? Solution?

Thanks,
    TomQ

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Tom,

I believe Roxio and Sonic are now one and the same. In which case their process for "formating" a DVD+R is something of a kludge (although admittedly one that works). It's not a UDF packet writing format as we know it but rather a variation of initialising a multi-session disk. Therefore once the image has been created you will need to close the multi-session disk by selecting "Make Compatible" otherwise TI (and probably other programms) wont be able to read it.

Personally I prefer to use DVD rewritable media as it works out cheaper in the long run (re-use for subsequent images and no risk of DVD coaster!!).

Regards

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  3. Tomq

Tomq Registered Member

>>once the image has been created you will need to close the multi-session disk by selecting "Make Compatible" otherwise TI (and probably other programms) wont be able to read it.<<

Except, True Image CAN read the images, as long as I am running up in XP. It is only when I boot from the Rescue CD that the problem surfaces. Maybe the difference is that up in XP the Sonic driver is allowing the verify to work, whereas that could not be the case booted from the Rescue CD?

On the bright side, once I "make compatible", the dvd media, it can be verified in my DVD read-only drive, which is several times faster than my RW drive.
    (When life hands you lemons, make lemonaid)
    ;)

-TomQ

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.