Cannot uninstall NOD32 from Server 2008

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by southsider, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southsider

southsider Registered Member

Since ESET has come out with a new product for servers I was attempting to do this upgrade on a couple of spare in-house servers before I go on to upgrade servers that are off-site or heavily used locally. Uninstall fails on both servers in the same way. It hangs up on "Uninstalling Drivers". After this, the only thing I can do is the manual uninstall via safe mode but that is not an option for my remote servers. I used the start menu uninstall option and even tried the right-click run as administrator but to no avail.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Which product and which version did you try on the test servers? Also, were the test servers running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. southsider

Both servers are running ESET NOD32 version 4.2.72.2
    Both are Windows Server 2008 R2

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Registered Member

I confirm this uninstall issue for Windows Server 2008 R2.

I happened to me on two separate servers a few weeks ago. I was uninstalling 4.2.x in order to be able to install ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Microsoft Windows File Server (4.5).

What a mess! Normal uninstall through the OS froze at "removing drivers" I believe, and both machines locked up and had to have hard reset! I thought the first server was just a fluke, I couldn't believe it when it happened to the second machine. I had to reinstall 4.2 after the corrupt/partial uninstall, then restart, then use the uninstaller found in the eset folder, then restart, then install 4.5 and restart again! Not sure about what exactly fixed the issue, as I was freaking out after the lock up. But the complete reinstall and then uninstall of 4.2 seems to be the key.

Never had that issue before and I run 50+ installs of 4.2.71. I think that 4.5 File Server is installed and running fine, but I really dont know if I was able to fully clean 4.2 off the machines.

Hope this helps...

5. southsider

Thanks for the confirmation - glad to know I am not the only one running into this problem.

I also had to do a hard restart on both servers when the uninstall failed. However, I was always using the uninstall in the ESET menu - I never tried the control panel uninstall as I understand that is not recommended by ESET. Did you get the uninstall to work when run from the menu? I tried that twice on both servers - once with "run as administrator" and once without - but no dice.

Always had to hard start and then use manual uninstall in safe mode. That was the only way I could get it uninstalled. As it is, I have no way to uninstall from my remote servers.

I also have installed and uninstalled ESET on many workstations and servers without problems - XP Pro, Server 2003, Windows 7, Vista too. But these are the first Server 2008 R2 machines I have attempted uninstall on.

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

7. southsider

That is the tool that I had to use to manually uninstall via safe mode when the uninstall in the ESET menu fails. This is the issue - I cannot use that tool remotely and I have 4 servers that will eventually need to be updated. I need a solution to the uninstall failures on Windows Server 2008 R2 rather than a workaround that only works with a hard restart and hands on the machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.