Cannot Troubleshoot Internet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TONPumper, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

Whenever I try to troubleshoot my internet connection, I get the following message:

In the error details, it says the following:

Code:
    Package ID: Unknown
    Path: C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\networking
    Error Code: 0x80004005
    Source: Engine
    User: LAPTOP_OF_DOOM\[My name]
    Context: Elevated
    I have tried virus scans and various repair tools, but nothing seems to do the trick. Anyone else ever have this issue?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

Sorry. I'm using Windows 7 x64 SP1. I installed a TAP driver on a VM to test it and found an unknown device on my physical system. When I uninstalled the unknown device on the physical computer, that's when the problem started.

I tried deleted the VM and uninstalling the program but I still could not troubleshoot my connection. I did a clean boot but that didn't work either. I also reinstalled the VM with the same OS and settings to try and reproduce the unknown device on my physical computer, but now the driver will not install at all (on the VM nor on my physical computer).

I disabled and uninstalled my AV but the error still occurred. I ran sfc /scannow but it didn't find any errors. I've even registering all of the dll files in my system folders but that didn't work either.

I cannot do a system restore because I disabled it. I did this because I noticed when I installed Windows, my computer was very slow. After running many cleaning and antimalware tools, I--somehow--decided to try turning off my system restore, which made my computer faster in a matter of seconds.

I checked my environment variable and it LOOKS okay. I don't really look at it enough to know what it should look like though. However, based on the link that stapp posted, it seems to be normal.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.