Cannot span image into two discs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ngct2000, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngct2000

ngct2000 Registered Member

I'm trying to image my system to my DVD Pioneer rewriter drive. If the image is limited to a single DVD ( All the DVDs are formated before use ), there seems to be no problem. However, if the image spans to a second DVD, the first DVD will be unreadable. It seem like the second DVD is closed properly by Roxio's Drag-to-Disk, but after the first DVD is filled, Acronis orders it ejected but Roxio never finalizes the DVD.

I've tried DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW and experience the same problem. I've updated my Roxio to the latest revision and Acronis Image and no luck at all.

And I've checked through this forum, seem like there are number of users having the same problem of spanning to DVDs. I think it is some problem with the synchronising with Acronis and Roxio Drag-to-Disk and Acronis Support Guys must seriously look into this problem and matter or you will lost user confident and support for Acronis.

Windows XP Prof. , SP2
    Acronis True Image 8.0, Build 826
    Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.2.0.110
    AMD Athlon XP 1.6 GHz processor

Thank you.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  2. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I don't know if Acronis supports spanned images to DVDs. It apparently does with CDs but there is no way I would do it that way as the chances of something going wrong are too high. If I were in your position I would try and create enough free space to fit the image to your hard disk and then burn it to DVDs. You can by the way make your split images up to around 4.3 GB and use the DVD-ROM(UDF) choice to fit the image part onto a DVD. One possible way of freeing up space is to see if you can transfer data from your hard disk to DVDs to free up disk space for an image. Turning off System Restore can retrieve a fair amount of disk space but it has its obvious disadvantages. Uninstalling programs you don't use and deleting data you don't need are other ways to create extra space. If you can't retrieve enough disk space to fit an image, hard disks are so cheap these days that I would consider getting an extra one as running a computer with nearly full hard disks will cause ongoing problems.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ngct2000,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe how you found out that the first DVD was unreadable? Did you try to verify the image? If so did you insert the last (in your case the second) DVD disk first?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi mareke,

If you use the (semi) direct method to create an image to UDF packet writing preformatted DVDs then TI will automatically span the image across mulitple disks. However, I agree that the indirect, two-stage, method is probably more reliable, particularily if the burn is carried out at slower speed.

Regards

5. ngct2000

Ilya Toytman,
    Yes I've used TI8 Explore Image to check and found out that the first DVD was unreadable. Yes and I've iinserted the second DVD disk first to verify.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  6. ngct2000

Hi mareke,
    Thanks for the advise but just want to find out is there a solution for my problem cause it will be a waste that I've invested a software that cannot perform what it supposed to perform.

Thank you.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I have no experience of Roxio software but, as a workaround, is there an option that enables you to finalise a disk after the image has been created on it?

Regards

8. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

Since you are writing the .tib file to HDD first (you have to to use UDF) make the files CD size chunks then drag each of those to the DVD, 6 fit quite nicely on a dvd.

Why not burn the DVD as a data DVD? That way you can use DVD±R and have a permanent backup.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ngct2000,

Have you used "Explore Image" wizard? In this case everything is clear. Unfortunately, it is impossible to mount an image that is stored on several CDs or DVDs. However, if you copy the image parts from DVDs (CDs) to a single folder on hard drive you will be able to explore the image.

You may use the "Check Image" tool to see whether the image is ok. This will work even if you have the image on several disks (CDs or DVDs).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.