cannot see external hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shaun75, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaun75

shaun75 Registered Member

I have true image 8 registered but not updated.I have bought a new hard drive.My old drive (using it at the moment) is making click sounds so I want to replace it.It is completely backed up to a seagate external drive.When the new drive is fitted and I boot using acronis cd,the software is saying I only have one drive,it is not recognising the external hard drive,I cannot retrieve my back up image to the new internal hard drive?I had to buy an(4 pin) IDE power to Sata converter cable connector so the boot would recognise the drive and change the operating mode in BIOS to onboard IDE operation from RAID.The old drive is a SATA as is the new,the external hard drive is a Seagate ST3160026A-RK,grateful for your help.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It's a common problem where the boot CD, which runs on Linux, does not have the drivers to recognize the chipset in the external enclosure. The workaround is to make a BartPe bootable cd that has the True Image plug-in embedded in it. There is a whole topic about making such a cd, or you can follow the directions in this message:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=839781&postcount=1

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I checked my old versions of 8 and both build #791 & #903 both recognized my USB externals; and my eSata externals & my internal SATAs.

Be aware that the Rescue will show the drive letters different (all TI versions do) so be sure what you are looking at is properly identified.

You may have to open the directory tree by clickin on the + sign of MYComputer within the Restore option.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Be sure to give your drives names like BOOT and EXTERNAL or Mary and George. Then check which drive has the C: drive letter. It's more likely with the TI 8 CD that the external drive is the only one you can see. TI 8 had very limited SATA drive support.

You can download the trial version of TI 2009, install it and make a Rescue CD. That CD should see all your drives and also be able to restore the TI 8 backups.

Some people have problems uninstalling TI 2009, so be sure to make a full backup with TI 8 before installing it. After creating the TI 2009 CD, restore the image you made to get back to having TI 8 installed as your backup program.

5. shaun75

When in the boot mode Acronis is recognising the seagate external drive(labels it C)with my back up,my two dvd writer drives and floppy drive.It gives the option to restore C to C,but bizarrely with the two different drives capacities given,160gb(external) and 450gb(new internal).I am now getting confused.
    Presently my back up is just the primary active,I have a hidden recovery partition fat 32 on the original drive as well as the primary active ntfs,as I did not get the full XP home installation disk.Should I back it all up and should I clone or restore?Do I uninstall acronis 8 before installing the 2009 trial version?If it is successful how much is the 2009 going to cost,as I will not be able to transfer to a new hard drive in the future.Sorry for the questions but there are so many issues when I bought acronis to be a simple operation.Is a bootable cd download available that recognises internal sata drives,without the need for a full download that may have uninstall issues?The new internal hard drive is a seagate STM3500320AS.Thankyou for your trouble.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shaun75,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

I am sending an ISO file to you for the trial CD of Acronis True Image Home 2009 via PM, you can create Acronis Booting Rescue Media without installing the program under Windows. Create the CD and check if all devices are recognized (for the trial CD the recovery is available only, but you will be able to sort it out).

Since you are an owner of Acronis True Image 8.0 license, you can purchase the Upgrade license here, the price will be $29,99.

You should backup/restore the entire hard drive, the hidden partition should be included also.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. shaun75

I have been working away so just got back.Uninistalled old trueimage 8,installed new trial version,created boot media,put new hard drive in.New bootable media Acronis still does not see the new hard drive Seagate ST3160026A-RK.I have been putting the new hard drive in and out and doing the shuffle dance,I must admit for a simple back up solution Acronis is totally failing me.I paid my money and all I am getting is hassle?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shaun75,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

I have sent a file to you in 2009-03-01 via PM, please create Acronis Booting rescue media and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.