Cannot schedule backups

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by randle, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Sorry, just added a brief rundown to my previous post.

Not flexible enough for me. I want to able to select partitions to backup separately. Also, I haven't seen a way of making a system image except from within windows.I like to be able to do it from a boot disc if necessary.

Reliability is a concern.

Not knocking it - great MS include it. It seems to be there to make sure your average user has something to fall back on. It pops up and asks you to make an image. A lot will have no idea what that means - at least most will say yes , and have something.

I don't imagine it is intended to replace a proper 3rd party app.

It will be interesting to see if it actually increases the market for 3rd party imaging solutions. It will increase awareness ( among home users , at least ) - of what a backup image is. Gradually - some will look for better alternatives.

2. randle

randle Registered Member

Great! A good evaluation. I probably won't use it as I have both Acronis and DB. Between the 2, I think I am in pretty good shape. I do a full image of all my drives with Acronis on Sunday mornings and do the same with DB on Wednesdays so I am never more than a few days away from a fresh backup. If one fails, hopefully the other one will save me. I had never thought about creating images from the rescue disk. I guess that comes in handy if for some reason you aren't able to do it from within Windows. Is there another advantage of using the rescue disk to create images?

John

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi John,

Some people like to create images with the boot disk as there isn't all that windows activity going as well - just the backup app. running.

I don't do that myself.

It is also useful if you have a disaster and can't boot in. Use the cd to make an image.

Then attempt to repair whatever went wrong - you are safe in the knowledge that if you totally mangle the repair attempt - invalid partition table - need to reformat, whatever- you have the image safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.