Cannot restore disc image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by grandsire02, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandsire02

grandsire02 Registered Member

I am running Vista X64 Ultimate with Acronis 11 True Image Home Build 8,053.

My system started to become a little unstable, I think as the result of the updating of some drivers, so I decided to do a complete HD restoration. Unfortunately I was not able to achieve this. My .tib backup is located on an external USB drive and I followed the wizard's instructions, but the process stuck after the reboot at the black 'Acronis is loading' (or similar) screen. I then had to do a power-off shutdown to get the PC going again. I also tried using both the boot recovery disc and the F11 Startup Recovery Manager processes (the latter had previously been enabled), all to to no avail - just nothing happens except Windows starts up normally. Also I am not now able to access the external drive with the backup on (perhaps because Acronis still had it 'locked') even though I've done a System Restore. I've used Acronis previously on XP Home with no problem. Can anyone give me some advice, please? As well as installing the disc image I should also like to get access to my external drive again!

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Go into the BIOS and set the cd/dvd rom as a device in which to boot from. It may have to be put first in line. Each computer varies as to how. This should enable you to boot from the TrueImage Rescue CD.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What did you see on screen when you tried to boot from the Recovery CD?

It may be necessary to make a BartPE boot disk to get drivers compatible with your system, but first try the suggestions in the stickies at the top of this forum, especially look at the one entitled Before you Post.

4. grandsire02

grandsire02 Registered Member

Thanks for all the information, guys. It occurs to me though that the issue I need to address first is that of the external drive on which my .tib files are situated. My logic is as follows: my original attempt to restore the HD image resulted, for whatever reason, in my PC no longer being able to see the external drive. I assume that this initial attempt has now been aborted and whatever I do now will constitute a second attempt. This surely will present a problem as my PC no longer recognises the drive from which it needs to recover the necessary information, so the first thing I need to do is to remedy that situation. Is my logic correct?

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I don't know why your external would suddenly "vanish"; that's not normal behavior with TI.

However, have you checked in Vista Disk Management to see if the disk has a drive letter assigned? If not, assign one.

6. como

como Registered Member

In addition to kOlo's suggestion, when you boot from the rescue CD you are booting to a Linux environment therefore whether Windows can see your external drive doesn't matter, the question is after booting from the rescue CD can you see the .tib files on the external and can you validate them from the CD. If yes then you should be ok.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That right, but he should be sure to have the USB drive attached and running before starting to boot from the YI Recovery CD.

Linux only checks for the drives during boot up, so attaching the drive later won't work.

8. como

como Registered Member

Thanks for adding that important information

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello grandsire02,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.