Cannot Restore Differential Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Harold381, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold381

Harold381 Registered Member

Am using Windows XP, Acronis True Image Home, version 11.0., primary drive 80 gb SATA, backup drive 160 gb EDI and making differential backups every 2-3 days. Used space on primary drive is about 30gb. First full backup about 21gb, each of last 3 differential backups about 6 gb. I execute Acronis on the 80 gb drive, select the backup from the 160 gb drive and select destination drive as a separate drive, usually a 40 gb drive, but sometimes another 160 gb drive.

Have tried to restore about 4 times and each time, no matter the destination drive I fail. Acronis goes through the steps to restore(locks drives etc.), reboots and shows some progress. Shortly after that, a screen comes up with blue-white jagged diagonal lines across entire screen and computer is locked up, requiring shut down. When I examine the destination drive with Windows, it appears that all has been erased, but nothing restored.

Any clue would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Make the bootable True Image Rescue cd, boot with it and do the recovery from there. You need to know that this way works anyway in case of complete HD failure.

3. Harold381

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for reply and suggestion. I just tried to restore using True Image Rescue cd and the screen full of blue/white came up earlier in the process. Following steps were seen;
    Welcome
    Backup Archive Selection
    Backup Date Selection
    Restore Type Selection
    Partition or Disk to Restore--when clicked Next on this screen, screen became full of white background with blue bars. Computer was locked up.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Harold381,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please make sure that you are using the latest build of Acronis True Image 11 Home (build #8101). You can find out the build number by selecting "Help" option, "About".

If not, download and install the latest build, re-create Acronis Booting Rescue Media and see if the issue remains. If the issue persists, I may recommend you to use our Live Chat service here, we will provide you with an ISO file to create another Acronis Booting Rescue Media based on another loader.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

5. Harold381

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I recently purchased upgrade Acronis 2009 and continue to have basically the same problem. However, I no longer get the diagonal lines--instead, after the reboot step in the restore process, the PROGRESS window never changes and the computer is locked up, requiring shut down to restart.

I took your suggestion to have a Live Chat. The person said the problem was likely that I am trying to restore a backed up SATA drive to an EDIA drive. Do you agree that could be the problem? Both drives are formatted the same--NTFS file system.

Thank You,

Harold

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

That should affect the restore process. If the image has drivers for one drive and not the onter, then, after you restore, the boot strap might not find system drive, but you shouldn't get this hardware failure you're seeing. MOre liekly theire is some hardware driver conflict and you need a diff set of hardwarde dirvers and you neeed to talk to tech support for that. Ifyou have trouble getting though, then post to Oleg. he suggested contacting support and he's from Acronis.

7. Acronis Support

Hello Harold381 and shieber,

Harold381, if you let me know your license number via PM, I will provide you with the appropriate ISO file. This CD has several kernel options, and it can help you to avoid the encountered issue.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

8. Harold381

Thanks, Oleg Lee, for reply.
    I do not know how to reply to you via "PM".
    I would like get the ISO file.

Harold

9. Harold381

Reply To Oleg Lee:
    I have dl the ISO file, burned it to a cd, booted with the cd and tried to restore a differential backup, of an IDEA hdd created with 2009 to a storage hdd, to a separate IDEA hdd. About same failure mode as before except that the operation got a bit further. Got to Progress screen of Operation 2 of 3 which showed progress for perhaps 15-20 minutes then computer locked up as before. Both drives are Western Digital Caviar 40 gb drives.

I wonder if anybody has succeeded in restoring with 2009.

Harold

10. Acronis Support

Hello Harold,

Please download Acronis Report utility available here and run it, create a report.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure. Please attach the file to your post and notify me via PM.

You can send a PM to Acronis support by making left-click on any Acronis support stuff and select Send Private message item.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

11. Harold381

To Oleg Lee:
    Attached is Acronis hdd report.

Harold

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.