Cannot restore archived image of C drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dakeeper, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dakeeper

dakeeper Registered Member

Hi - after exhausting all possibilities im hoping this forum can help. Ive tried to use Acronis True Image to restore my system C drive from an old image I saved a few weeks ago. The archive has been validated as fine. But neither in pre-boot mode nor from a boot CD of Acronis will it proceed to replace the existing C image with the archive one. It jumps almost straight to windows booting up. Grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

2. visch1

visch1 Registered Member

I’m no expert on giving directions regarding things I do automatically but a couple things come to mind. #1 would be to check and make sure the PCs boot bios is set to CD as first choice, floppy 2nd and hard drive 3rd.. to get into bios repeat depressing the delete key, (on many machines). When trying to work on a image with windows just start the program and follow the confusing, to me, directions. Next cross your fingers.
    GOOD LUCK!

3. dakeeper

Thanks for feedback. Just to clarify I can access both the recovery manager and CD mode versions of Acronis and can follow all the directions required to replace the system c partition with the archive one. Its when Acronis goes to execute this that the system just skips straight to boot. Would this be cured by changes in choice of boot order for CD etc? Im assuming you thought i couldnt get to Acronis perhaps... thanks.

4. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Assuming you can access the C: drive from a normal boot, can you run CHKDSK C:/ r from the Start>Run line and then re-boot? Its a long shot but may help.
    Good luck

5. dakeeper

just to clarify the system is totally usable. its just that the audio drivers had some kind of spac attack a few days ago and im trying to restore the system to fix the audio. but this is the first time ive tried to restore the system since i got the home theatre PC. and apparently acronis doesnt work. should it be able to handle replacing the system disc image? or the fact that its a system disc make it impossible. not from what ive read...

6. OttoSykora

OttoSykora Registered Member

OK, seems you are a victim of same thing as I am. On a simple not very new system, when the restore or backup oparation actualy wants start (under the linux boot cd ) the system will crash, or reboot stright away or sometimes freeze etc.

This does happen to me with TI10 boot CD regardless if I choose safe mode or not.
    Cure was only a donwload link supplied by the support, I could get there an ISO file to produce some version of TI11 boot CD and here it all went OK.

The old trick with acpi=off etc did not work at all in this case BTW.

7. JudH

JudH Registered Member

And me. I upgraded from v8final to v10 awhile back but never did more than validate the image. When I went to actually restore C it did what you're describing. Both the Windows version and the bootable version could see all the drives okay and I could go thru and select what I wanted. But when I clicked on the final proceed button it paused then rebooted without doing the restore. Tried everything I could think of with no luck including having the images both on a usb dvd and a usb hard drive. Finally booted to the v8 rescue disk and restored the v10 backup from there--didn't expect it to work but it did. I can't depend on v10--I just reinstalled v8 until v11 gets a bit more "done". I never used v9--is the final v9 pretty stable?

I've also bought an extra hard drive so I can test a complete restore.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you sure you did this? The reason I ask is that somewhere in the middle of Version 9, TI changed the format of the TIB files because they incorporated a new "engine" in the program.

Version 8 rescue CDs and Version 9 rescue CDs made prior to the build incorporating the new engine cannot read the newer format. This format is in effect in version 10 but I believe the TI version 11 format is different again.

TI makes their products backwards compatible such that a newer version can read the files of older versions but older versions cannot read the newer files - not suprising since the new format was not known when the old program versions were created and released.

9. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Had a similar problem, forget which version. Advice from Acronis: get the latest build (gave me a link), unistall and then clean re-install the new downlod.

Found I already had the latest build, but I did as directed anyway and it solved the problem. Perhaps a corrupted file.

10. dakeeper

Thanks for all the inputs. I have copied the thread in an email to Acronis support who have picked up my problem.

11. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I don't think TI 8 can restore a TI 10 image. (It's been reported not to be able to do so.)

Are you certain that the image you restored wasn't made by TI 8 and TI 10 was having trouble restoring it?

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Although it is a bit more work, your problem would most likely be solved by booting from a Bart PE disk with the TI plug-in. (Assuming you are using TI 10 or earlier which have Bart plug-ins.)

The stickie at the top of the forum explains how to make a Bart PE disk. Because this runs in a Windows environment instead of Linux, it is likely to handle your system successfully.

To anyone: Is the Safe version of TI 11 available now? This might also be a solution if the drive with the backup is visible with the Safe version of TI.

13. dakeeper

Acronis support solved it for me by giving me a link to an ISO of True Image II boot CD. worked like a charm with no further problems. Thanks to Acronis and to all who provided suggestions. I hope this might help others with similar issues.

14. JudH

JudH Registered Member

Looks like a booboo on my part. Finally found my receipt for V10 and it's 2 days AFTER the backup I finally managed to restore--so V8 rescue CD restored a V8 backup as expected. Mystery solved. Sorry for the confusion.

From now on I'm going to put the VERSION in the file name. Anybody know a way to examine a TIB file and tell which version made it?

So V10 boot CD could not restore either V8 or V10 backups even though it was seeing all the devices--just rebooted without doing anything. Back to the original problem in this thread. It still may be related to hardware and the BartPE method may fix it--but haven't had time to do that yet.

15. shieber

shieber Registered Member

IF BartPE "fixes" it, then it's not a hardware problem, it's an ATI/linux problem.
    BartPE can probably get you going -- it only costs you the trouble of build the Bart disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.