Cannot resize partition if MBR included

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rockpixie, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockpixie

rockpixie Registered Member

Problem with TI8 (build 796).

Replaced old 40GB hard drive with a larger 80GB hard drive as needed more space.

First tried to clone drive. Wasn't possible. Got error message along the lines of "unsupported disk cannot be used as source disk etc" when tried to select the old drive for cloning.

Gave up on cloning. Decided to try create and restore image instead. Created image to an external drive.

Then, tried to restore to new hard drive. When I selected the partition image (and not the disk image) I was able to restore the image and was also able to resize it to make full use of the new larger hard disk. But then pc would not boot from the disk.

Wiped the disk. Restored image of disk instead. There was no option to resize. Image was restored, and pc was booting from new disk. But I still had exactly the same 40GB of space as I had with my old disk. The remaining 40GB was still unallocated.

So, in summary, with acronis TI8 - cloning wasn't possible; can re-size partition to fit new larger disk but then cannot boot (so of no use); or, can boot but not re-size to fit new larger disk (of no use either, back to square one).

I bought TI to be able to replace my old disk with a new larger disk to have more space, but I have got nowhere.

Would anyone please be able to help?

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rockpixie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collecte files to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  4. rockpixie

rockpixie Registered Member

hello, really appreciate your help.

can i just ask, by doing a second restore image of the partition only, will than not overwrite all of what's on the (new) drive, including the mbr, or does the mbr stay on the drive?

thanks

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Rockpixie,

When you subsequently restore the partition(s) individually, everything other than the MBR will get rewritten.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.