Cannot remove KeyScrambler

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dmenace, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

After using keyscrambler for quite a while, i decided to uninstall it.

After running the keyscrambler uninstaller, and rebooting my laptop, the mouse worked but as soon as i started typing in my password the mouse and keyboard froze completely!

I can't even login. Even in SAFE MODE!!!

So basically as soon as i press any key on the keyboard the computer freezes. No Ctrl alt del, nothing works.

Does anyone no the driver keyscrambler uses? What is it called? Maybe i can delete it somehow?

HELP!!!

Edit: maybe keyscrambler somehow corrupted my touchpad drivers or similar?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. muf

muf Registered Member

Hope this helps. But you could try reinstalling and uninstalling just in case something was missing or corrupted from the original installation.

Driver Name: KeyScramblerDrv
    Description: KeyScrambler Keyboard Encryption Driver
    Type: Kernel Driver
    Startup Type: On Demand
    Publisher: QFX Software Corporation
    Command: System32\drivers\keyscrambler.sys
    File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\keyscrambler.sys
    File Version: 1.3.3
    File Size: 112 992 Bytes
    File CRC32: 90E7CBA6
    File MD5: d0573e54eb2461aa60560a3b78691418
    File Creation Date: 02.05.08

muf

3. dmenace

Thanks muf,

Checked system32/drivers after uninstalling (before reboot) but that driver wasn't there (removed during uninstall).

Still have problem, can't login / use keyboard after removing keyscrambler!

4. muf

muf Registered Member

Try reinstalling and test that your keyboard is working again. Then uninstall it again and hopefully it may uninstall it cleanly this time.

muf

5. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Have you done a "Hard Boot" by removing the power cord and battery then replacing them and then logging into Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode do a System Restore to a point prior to your KeyScrambler uninstall. Then try the options mentioned previously to remove KeyScrambler.

If you can't get into Normal or Safe Mode I believe a complete reinstall of the OS is the only alternative. If there is another option, I'd be interested to learn what it is.

6. dmenace

Thanks for yor help!

I reinstalled keyscrambler, then uninstalled, then deleted all references to keyscrambler in registry (especially in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} )

This solved the problem. Keyscrambler does not uninstall cleanly, leaving entries in the registry especially in the above location. This can cause some keyboard no longer working problems for users.

As this is a production system, reformatting was not an option. The reason I removed keyscrambler was because I did not trust its encrypt keystrokes method and would rather detect keyloggers using a program like threatfire rather than take my chances with keystroke "encryption".

A big thank you to Threatfire Support!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.