Cannot mount archive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bman412, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

I'm trying to mount an archive of a partition which was taken via Recovery Media and stored to the Backup Capsule and have been getting the following error:

Error source:
    Error code: 0xe0000018

Is this a normal occurence for such type of backups?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

It's likely that you have a corrupted archive. Beside mounting, have you tried using the File Transfer Wizard? And to rule out if it's only an archive issue, I would perform a small backup and try to mount it. Under Archives, you can perform an integrity check.

-Tommy

3. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Archive integrity check using drive backup pro's tool says that all my current backups are good. I tried using the file transfer wizard to export some random items from the archive and all the files exported passed md5 checks.

4. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi bman412,

To help determine where the problem lies, please try mounting this archive using another system if possible. Also, as Tommy suggested, try mounting a backup of a different partition and compare the results.

There may be a problem with the installed driver that handles archive mounting. To attempt to correct this, try reinstalling the application with your system in "Install Mode". This helps reduce installation issues due to access privileges or running applications. Please uninstall the program and restart before reinstalling.

Install using "Install Mode"
    -Open Control Panel
    -Open Add-Remove Programs
    -Open Add-New Programs
    -Click CD or Floppy, Click Next
    -When it times out Click Browse
    -Navigate to your installer file to launch the installation
    -Your system is now temporarily in "Install Mode"
    -Proceed as normal to complete the installation
    -Restart your system

I've outlined the 3 different ways to extract content from a backup so passerby's will know what we're referring to.

File Transfer Wizard
    -Click Tools, File Transfer Wizard.
    -Click Next, Browse to your backup file on the right.
    -Double click the .PBF (if you backed up a partition by itself), or the .000 file that corresponds to the partition you wish to enter (if you backed up the entire disk at once). The name will be similar to MyBackup_0000p.000 for the first (0) partition - MyBackup_0001p.000 for the second (1) partition – MyBackup_0002p.000 for the third (2) partition.
    -After you double click, wait a moment. It could take up to 2 minutes for a backup over 100GB before you will see the + icon expand beneath the file. Usually it takes about 2 seconds.
    -Expand the + to see the contents inside the backup.
    -Highlight what you need and click the left arrow in the middle to place the item(s) on the clipboard.
    -Click next to select a destination to restore to.
    -This feature is available from Windows and both Recovery CD’s.

Volume Explorer
    -On the main screen (Disk View) there are 3 vertical tabs in the middle of the main window and the left hand side bar.
    -Open the Volume Explorer Tab.
    -Browse to your backup file and double click it to enter. In the volume explorer you can double click the .PBF file regardless of the type of backup. If you backed up an enter drive, it will expand all of the partitions beneath the PBF, or just the individual partition from the 000. This is slightly different (a little more convenient) than the File Transfer Wizard.
    -This option is only supported from Windows or the WinPE Recovery CD.

Mount Archive
    -Open the ‘Archives’ tab next to Disk View and Scheduled Tasks.
    -Change the drop-down in the middle to ‘Show Partitions’.
    -On the bottom half, locate the backup you wish to mount.
    -If the backup is not on the list (usually because it wasn’t backed up at this system) click the green + to browse and add the file.
    -Right click and choose ‘Mount the selected archive’.
    -Choose a drive letter.
    -Open My Computer; Your backup is now accessible as if it were a read-only hard drive.
    -This option is only supported from inside Windows.
    -This option is not available for 64-bit installations at this time.
    -This option is not available for Partition Manager

5. Un posteur

Un posteur Registered Member

Hi, Paragon_Tony,

I just registered to thank you.

My problem: I couldn't mount a backup partition with PD9 Pro under WinXP SP2. Whatever the letter I assigned to the archived partition, I got the error 0xe0000010.
    I've a semi-geek machine with MS Visual studio 2005 installed. I'm able to R/W on my MacOSX partition with MacDrive, or Ubuntu with IFSDrives and several other drivers are able to mount a partition, Daemon-Tools, or UltraISO, maybe others I forget.

Your solution: I followed your advice to make a clean install in Install Mode, and now it works.

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I was trying out the mounting feature built into Backup and Recovery Suite 10 and like the OP I was unable to mount an archive as a separate drive on my system. I can use the file transfer wizard fine, but when I try to mount the drive, the program shows it as mounted, but I can not see the drive in "my computer". Can someone suggest any tips. I am on Vista so I do not have an "Install mode" available as mentioned above.

I am not a newbie with Paragon, just never tried the mount feature before and now I can not seem to get it to work. Uninstall and fresh reinstall does not help either.

Thanks.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Do you have any other apps. that use virtual drives installed? They could be interfering.

If you are using a 32 bit o/s, you could try going into the Paragon UIM folder and rt click and run as admin on the uim_x86.exe

If you are on 64 bit, I don't think the mounting works. I have never been able to get it to work on my 64 bit systems.

8. Raza0007

Thanks SIW2, I guess you nailed the problem. I do not have any folder inside Paragon labeled UIM, nor do I have a file labeled "uim_x86.exe" anywhere on my computer. I did some further research and discovered this thread right here at Wilders https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1617033.

After going through the thread it appears that UIM driver was accidentally not included in B&R 10 suite by Paragon. Though mistakes can be made, but apparently this oversight has not been fixed either, since it was pointed out more than 2 months ago. I downloaded the current installer for B&R 10 just 4 days ago!

The following link pointed out on that thread is not working either
    Can anybody give me a new link from where I can download the UIM?

p.s. It is very difficult to recommend Paragon to anyone when the software contains these silly bugs and Paragon does nothing to fix it. Isn't B&R 10 suite currently Paragon's top of the line product?

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

10. Raza0007

Thank you SIW2.

Is this UIM from the latest 10 series or the older 9 series? Is there a difference between the two UIMs?

For Paragon support staff:
    When will the UIM driver be included in B&R10 suite? Are all newer 10 versions (accidentally) missing this UIM, or is this only the case with B&R10 suite?

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It's from the 10 series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.