Cannot install ZoneAlarm 5.5.062.011, i get TrueVector Error

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tiluid, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiluid

tiluid Registered Member

I downloaded the new version, uninstall the old, but when i tryed to install 5.5.062.011 i didnt manage to do this.
    The instalation wizard opens, i browsed a destination folder, write down my name, e-mail and everything and when i click "Install" nothing happens.
    In Event Viewer i get several errors with Source: TrueVector Service. One of them has the following description:
    "TrueVector driver: Driver install or load failure: LoadNTDeviceDriver. Win32 error: Access is denied."

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Are you sure you got rid of all the old ZA, in particular any remnant of TrueVector and ZoneAlarm? I think you need might need to go in and take a look at your registry and maybe even drivers and get rid of all the remains of your old ZA. Make very sure you know what you're doing before attempting that. You might look into something like ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

It didn't solve my old problem with ZoneAlarm, but did get rid of a few bits and pieces of it and other things. Alternatively bring up search, type in regedit and TrueVector and delete every piece that shows.

Another alternative is Regseeker at http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html

both ccleaner and regseeker are free. With Regseeker you can search for the things you want to remove in your registry among a number of other operations it will perform.

3. tiluid

tiluid Registered Member

Thank you Chuck57 for the reply. I posted in the ZA official forum yesterday but still dont have an answer!

I am not sure that i know what i am doing. I am afraid to delete anything in the registry.
    Please tell me what to do! Is it safe to delete everything in the registry which is a result of a search with "ZoneAlarm" and "TrueVector"?
    I typed regedit, made a search and found some keys, but i am not sure what to do!
    I got EasyCleaner and TweakNow-RegCleaner. Would they work out? Are they useful in this case and generally?

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

No one can tell you anything is 100% safe. The issue here is whether you can backtrack - the best in this particular situation is: it is reasonably safe to remove anything with those two names in them.

Two ways to backup your Registry before doing this:

If runnining XP or WinME:

System Restore: Create a manual restore point. Speaking of which, do you have a restore point just before the install attempt? If so, use it. That would solve this problem, then you could start again.

In the Help and Support applet on the Control Panel search for Registry, one of the items will be how to back it up.

ZA forums: search for clean uninstall or uninstall. You'll get numerous posts with instructions to cleanly remove ZA prior to a install.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  5. Hello Tiluid,

I am sorry you having the same problem I had,exactly! Truevector blocked all my ports corrupted my registry,it was damaged beyond repair!No Help Ever From ZoneLabs support in 5 years just a link TO HELP BUT WAS NO HELP AT ALL! never answered one of my questions,so in the end I had to do a partial reinstallation of windows to get back my computer up and running and able to connect to the Internet,I did everything a tech could do ,but it was useless when your registry becomes corrupted,not much you can do,but back up all your data encase a partial reinstallation won't work,it should,but better to backup anything you need,I worked over 10 hours to fix this problem you are having and a partial reinstallation is the only the way I found to fix this problem,you can try,but you really want to get zonealarm off once and for all and find a good firewall,like Look"n"Stop GREAT FIREWALL! It's as light as a feather! zonealarm is like a 747 jumbo jet,huge on system resources! Good luck you will see, do a partial reinstallation and your problem is gone! for good and so is truevector,but use a registry cleaner after you do a partial reinstallation of windows or a full one depending on just how bad you registry is damaged?,here are is a link,you are not alone!,I know so many people who have the same problem,Just reinstall windows get a better firewall,take the loss!,you will never every get your money back from these people,or will they every contact you,so if you do want a letter back from zonelabs tell them what you think of there firewall !and the problem it had created on your computer ,they just don't give a Dam!Sad but true!,after 51/2 years of no customer support!, it was long over do to leave zonelabs for good and get a firewall that has no problems,Look"n"stop is one of the best on the market today,(IMO only)but I searched for years and found Look"n"Stop to work perfect on my computer and all my friends computers,please check out the link below and you will see you are not alone in this matter.There are hundreds more like this one,but this one will give you the general on just why zonealarm is a poor firewall at best!And why you should avoid this software at all costs!

http://www.download.com/3640-10435_4-10346119.html

6. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

I found this ..Shutdown ZoneAlarm, Closing ZoneAlarm will disable its Internet Security features are you sure? YES. After that hit the keys ctrl alt delete. Now you are in your taskmanager go to Process and have a look for vsmon.exe Highlight it and kill that Process you have to do this also with zlclient.exe. Then go into the start menu and the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you need to add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean then click apply and then OK., then reboot and then run the uninstaller (the one you change the shortcut for) This will get rid of ZA for you. Now go to your C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder and delete everything with the name ZLT* (ZLT followed by anything). Then find the folder named Internet logs and delete it. XP user go to your C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch folder and with a right-click delete VSMON.EXE and ZLCLIENT.EXE Then empty your recycle bin. ZA should be gone.
    Goodluck

7. I also did that! and still it would not work,zonealrm damaged the registry beyound repair!,try all you can!,much easier to do a partial reinstallion
    and rid yourself of zonealrm garbage once and for all!,good luck don't wait for zonelabs to help you out,check your emial,if you are lucky you will get a link,that's all!

8. tiluid

tiluid Registered Member

Thanks to all who is trying to help me! :)
    StealthSSL-128-B, thank you for the good advices! I read the coments in Download.com!
    It is clear to me - never again Zone Alarm. But a have some questions.
    After the uninstalation of ZA my PC is working good, so do a need preinstalation of Windows? And if i need teach me how to do it, please!
    Is the Windows SP2 firewall good enough?
    I am waiting for your posts!
    Bye! :D

9. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

When I install a new version of ZA I always do the following:-

1) Go to Control Panel/Add-Remove Progs and uninstall ZA;

2) Reboot;

3) Install the new version.

Are you sure you did the reboot between uninstalling the old and installing the new version?

The Windows FW is not good enough because it is uni-directional, it stops stuff getting in but does not control what is going out. That is why you need a bi-directional FW like ZA.

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If everything is working fine you should not have to reinstall Windows.

The Windows firewall is fine for blocking unsolicited inbound traffic. If you still want control over what applications are allowed to connect the network/Internet then you will need a firewall with application control. Have you tried reinstalling ZA now that you have done the clean uninstall?

Regards,

CrazyM

11. Hello Tiluid,

If you can connect to the net,have no crashing going on? Computer back to normal speed? Than I wound not do a reinstallion of windows,in my case Zonealarm pro corrupted my registry beyound repair! As for XP firewall,it has inbound protection only,so I would try to find a inbound and outbound going protection,I wound not recommend you even trying zonealarm again,you have seen for yourself what it can do to your computer and CrazyM wants you to try it again!,I would quit while you are ahead,and try a firewall with inbound and outbound going protection,anything but zonealarm!!! gald you have seen the light that is just one of hundreds of posts on the internet,some people are lucky they have no problems with Zonealarm,but most people that I fix there computers,with zonealrm pro all run into the same problem we had,and it just gets worse from there,I have found Look"n"Stop to be the best firewall on the market for the home user Pc,it takes awhile to get used to if you have never tried a rulebased firewall,but it took a few hours to understand the rules and what they are all about and the LNS support is very good,there's always somebody to help you on the LnS site,I have tried Every firewall searched for close to 6 years until I found the firewall that works great,never crashes,easy on system resources(you don't even notice it is there)But try anything you like,just zonealarm is one to avoid!,good luck in your search for your new firewall,you computer is better already zonealarm if off !and gone! you just can't ask for more! and you were one of the lucky ones! getting away without doing a reinstallion of Windows

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.