Cannot image Full Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sbennett, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbennett

sbennett Registered Member

I've been battling a problem with TI11 (latest version) where if I attempt to backup the entire partition (the boot drive) on a Windows XP Professional SP2 (with all the latest MS updates) computer, the TI program crashes about 80% through the process. I have narrowed the issue down to several files in the C:\System Volume Information\_restore{987E0331-0F01-427C-A58A-7A2E4AABF84D} folder. If I select the folders and files to backup and set the TI program to ignore two (now three) files in the System Volume Information folder the backup completes (and is verified) successfully.

The three files TI chokes on are:
    A0114058.msi
    A0114106.msi
    A0115863.ilg – this one cropped up today to cause TI to fail during the backup process.

The TI program is indicating errors in the logs for the above three files. The errors are; "Error reading the file. (0x40001) Tag", and "The parameter is incorrect (0xFFF0) code = 80070057". Both the driving being backup and the drive where the backup is being written to have been scanned and do not have any bad sectors.

Anyone else run into this strange error and is there a workaround to backup the entire partition rather than manually selecting the data to backup and what to skip when the program cannot backup files in the System Volume Information folder?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Just to confirm this happens not only when doing a My Data (or file by file backup) but when doing a partion/disk image?
    If you do a My Data backup with those files deselected but otherwise with about the same number of files, the problem does not recur?

I ask only to get clear on whether this might be the same or related to a similar problem noted else in the forums.

If you answered the first question "no" and the second "yes", then does set compression to none eliminate the prob?

3. sbennett

Correct. Both backup methods (partition or manual file selection) will fail if it tries to backup the three files I listed. The problem is the partition backup fails immediately with an “E00070021: Unable to create volume snapshot” if I set the TI program to ignore (not backup) these three files. If I do a My Data backup and set TI to ignore the three files the backup will proceed and will backup successfully. The problem is up until today, I only had to set TI to ignore two files, now it’s three. And who knows if it will go to four, five or six. I cannot tell the TI program to ignore the entire System Volume Information folder since doing so produces an error similar to the E000070021 error above I believe.

I’m running a full partition backup now with the compression set to none to see if that makes any difference.

4. sbennett

OK using no compression failed as well. This time with an E00070003: Failed to read data from the disk during the varification process. The log shows several errors, one of them being:
    <event code="502" id="18" level="4" message="Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated. Details: <indent>Read error (0x70003) Tag = 0x9365D74A375E415E Error reading the file. (0x40001) function = "ReadFile" Tag = 0x7CEB2CDC9FB12027 Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service (0xFFF0) code = 800705AA) Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8AF</indent>" module="1" time="1197922600" />

5. shieber

Have you marked the ATi files as "Allowed" or "excluded" in your security software?

While this could be adirver problem, it sounds like it could a conflict with security software or a hardisk problem.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

System volume information is part of the Windows system restore system.
    If you do not want to use Windows system restore you could turn it off and the problem should go away. If you want to have Windows restore points you could enable their creation again and the new ones may no longer be a problem.

Xpilot

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sbennett,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. sbennett

shieber if by ATi files you mean AMD/ATi Graphics Driver files then no I cannot mark them as allowed or excluded as I don't have an ATi video card (it's Intel integrated video) in the system that's giving the error during backup. I also tried disabling the TrendMicro IS 2008 software and still had the error. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Xpilot, your suggestion to disable the Windows System Restore is what I tried doing this moring (before I saw your response) and that worked because it deleted the restore subfolder containing the three problematic files. Obviously disabling the System Restore is not a great option for some people. So I'm going to renable the Windows System Restore to see what happens during the next backup and see if I can replicate this error again during a partitian backup so as to supply info back to Acronis Support.

9. shieber

I meant the Acronis TrueImage (a.k.a. ATI) executable files:

C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\spawn.exe

C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe

If the security software hassles with any of these files, it can cause problems with ATI's functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.